Problem with Hamstring Stretch

Started by Andreas Bolz, June 9, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,838 Views

Andreas Bolz

For hamstrings I just sit on the floor with extended legs and then lean forward to touch my toes. Unfortunately, I don't get the stretch feeling at all, instead am feeling an extreme stretch kinda behind my knee. Problem with this is that the stretching pain is definitely much harder than anywhere else. Is that normal for a beginner? Do I just have to stand through this or is something wrong? Maybe some sort of dysbalance between front and back thigh strength? hope some may know what it might be...

sorry for the english, i'm german, so not really a regular speaker :).

Jaylene Deane

Try bending your knees very slightly, It takes the pressure off the ligaments and tendons at the back of the knee. That's what I do and it works nicely for me.

Coach Sommer

The pressure behind the knee is actually where you are the tightest and should be feeling the stretch. You may also somewhat flex the knee when stretching, but this should always be paired with locked knee stretching as well to directly address your issue.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jaylene Deane

So bending the knee slightly is not the best thing then Coach? because I found that If I do that, I feel the stretch in the middle of the hamstring and right up to under the glutes, where locked knees just feel more like a pull than a stretch just behind the knees and nowhere else. Is that just a pathetic display of flexibility on my part?

Sorry to Hijack your thread lobster8...just wanting to know if I've been doing the wrong thing completely...

Coach Sommer

No it is not pointless; they are simply different areas of emphasis. However if you only stretch with a bent knee you are creating a weak link in your kinetic chain.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jaylene Deane

Thanks for your awesomeness Coach! Will work on fixing this immediately. And again big apologies lobster8. Hijacking threads is not cool.