What is the name of an exercise in which you swing on high bar abit and then you lift your legs and butt up and kick with the legs and you do some kind of muscle up with straigth arms?
Name of an exercise
Started by Jhaek, June 9, 2011 · 24 Replies · 5,555 Views
kip ![]()
Razz said:kip
exactly what I was looking for thank you very much
hmm... so I pretty much wanna learn it but I cant explain it to myself >> every time I try to do it ,I Just stop my swing and I do something like a explosive muscle up with leg kick :S
Do you know what a glide is, and are you good at it?
Timing timing timing, can you upload a video of it. That would help ALOT!!! Thanks ![]()
Newguy said:Do you know what a glide is, and are you good at it?
I dont know what glide is...Actually Im not good in things with swing and kips but I want to learn basic kip
Newguy said:Timing timing timing, can you upload a video of it. That would help ALOT!!! Thanks
I cant I dont own a camera :S also ive searched youtube for kip tutorial and found nothing ![]()
Okay try this, stand in front of a high bar that has been lowered to about 2 higher then your head. Jump onto and grab the bar, make sure you have a strong hollow body and let your body "glide" forward in a swinging motion making sure to keep your hollow body. Once you are about at the end of your front swing let your body come out from being hollow and stretch towards the ground infront of you like a rubber band. Now bring your toes to the bar like in a hanging leg lift, and as your body (like a rubber band) starts to snap back bring your hands which should be touching your toes up your body to your hips. Remember to always keep the bar to your body, if you let the bar fall away from your body, no kip.
Make sense?
Newguy said:Okay try this, stand in front of a high bar that has been lowered to about 2 higher then your head. Jump onto and grab the bar, make sure you have a strong hollow body and let your body "glide" forward in a swinging motion making sure to keep your hollow body. Once you are about at the end of your front swing let your body come out from being hollow and stretch towards the ground infront of you like a rubber band. Now bring your toes to the bar like in a hanging leg lift, and as your body (like a rubber band) starts to snap back bring your hands which should be touching your toes up your body to your hips. Remember to always keep the bar to your body, if you let the bar fall away from your body, no kip.Make sense?
Yes it does!Ive noticed that when I try to lift my legs to the bar it kills my swing why is that?
Your timing is probably off, you are either lifting your legs too late or too early. You should lift your legs right after your body fully stretches out (Correct me if I am wrong someone! But I think I am right
)
Newguy said:Your timing is probably off, you are either lifting your legs too late or too early. You should lift your legs right after your body fully stretches out (Correct me if I am wrong someone! But I think I am right)
Well practise makes perfect
thanks for all the info
No, perfect practice makes perfect ![]()
Oh and are you using a real high bar or not? that can make a huge difference!
I don't know if this is helpful or will just make things worse. I learned this on a low bar, and had been taught to tap the ground in front of me at the end of my glide; it helped to figure out the timing. Swing, glide, stretch out and tap the ground with my feet, and then right away start swinging my feet up to the bar.
The problem is that for a long time I needed to tap the ground because I couldn't get the timing otherwise.
Now I do not need to tap the ground, but I can still only do it on the low bar. On the high bar my timing just goes out the window.
Newguy said:No, perfect practice makes perfectOh and are you using a real high bar or not? that can make a huge difference!
Not a real one but one at the park .I can catch it with alitle jump
Unless you can upload a video somewhere you would need to see a gymnastics coach or someone who actually knows how to do a kip. What "Newguy" said is basically a kip so if you can follow that then great but other then that we can't help you.
Kip is actually not an easy move to get, especially if you have no gymnastics experience. So I would recommend either starting with something a little easier if you're a beginner or go to an actual gym.
Well, that is a downer, while possible to do it on a park bar, It is alot harder! And uses somewhat different timimg then a regular high bar.
Naturally Reveridian, I am assuming that he has a good enough base to learn the kip. But yeah, if he could get a video up that would help drastically!!! And I disagree, the kip is actually quite easy move (comparatively) but of course he has to have a good enough base!
I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?
Jhaek said:I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?
Once again extremely difficult to help you without a video.
After you extend at the front of the swing, you need to bring your feet up to the bar. When you reach ABOUT vertical (under the bar) with your body you need to pull strongly with your arms bringing the bar to your hips. It is extremely important that you continue to keep your chest "in" and lean forwards. Your problem MIGHT be that aren't shifting your grip forwards as you go up. If your hands stay in the same position as they were in the swing then you will be pushing yourself away from the bar.
Kip is easy for an advanced gymnast but not for someone who does not have much experience or strength. Things that are easy for a gymnast are surprisingly difficult for normal people ![]()
Reveridian said:Jhaek said:I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?Once again extremely difficult to help you without a video.
After you extend at the front of the swing, you need to bring your feet up to the bar. When you reach ABOUT vertical (under the bar) with your body you need to pull strongly with your arms bringing the bar to your hips. It is extremely important that you continue to keep your chest "in" and lean forwards. Your problem MIGHT be that aren't shifting your grip forwards as you go up. If your hands stay in the same position as they were in the swing then you will be pushing yourself away from the bar.
Kip is easy for an advanced gymnast but not for someone who does not have much experience or strength. Things that are easy for a gymnast are surprisingly difficult for normal people
Yes the problem is that I get away from the bar.I dont pull the bar to my hips
Jhaek said:I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?
A kip is mostly a technique skill like most tumbling and aerial skills are, so unfortunetly explosive muscle ups have little to do with one. I would suggest looking up drills from gymnastic coaches to learn the proper body positions and the technique behind a kip to learn one. The best option would obviously be to find a gymnastics coach to show and explain the kip.
AlexX said:Jhaek said:I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?A kip is mostly a technique skill like most tumbling and aerial skills are, so unfortunetly explosive muscle ups have little to do with one. I would suggest looking up drills from gymnastic coaches to learn the proper body positions and the technique behind a kip to learn one. The best option would obviously be to find a gymnastics coach to show and explain the kip.
Well we have no gymnast coaches here>.>But there are people who workout in my park and they do it very good
Jhaek said:AlexX said:Jhaek said:I can do 11 explosive muscle ups with decent form and Im pretty sure I can do it.Also today Ive learned to do the kip on p-bars and I tried on bar but with no luck>.>On the bar I swing hard, when coming forward I raise my legs to the bar and I kick with them and I come rigth under the transistion point with straigth arms and then I cant lean forward and I go again to hang why is that?A kip is mostly a technique skill like most tumbling and aerial skills are, so unfortunetly explosive muscle ups have little to do with one. I would suggest looking up drills from gymnastic coaches to learn the proper body positions and the technique behind a kip to learn one. The best option would obviously be to find a gymnastics coach to show and explain the kip.
Well we have no gymnast coaches here>.>But there are people who workout in my park and they do it very good
Just remember that what might look like good technique to you is probably horrendous technique in the gymnastics world. I would suggest looking up and studying some high bar (or even uneven bar) routines and studying the technique of a kip very carefully.
thanks for the tip
This comes three months too late, but for those having problems with this exercise, there is a tutorial on how to do a glide kip here:
http://gymnasticswod.com/content/glide- ... ession-pt1
It's explained in four parts. The link refers to the first part.