This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming FSP and IC progressions

Started by Niklas Slotte, June 9, 2011 · 1 Replies · 62 Views

Niklas Slotte

I've been making haste slowly with the FSP progression since the Mallorca seminar. I decided to leave out the 60 seconds worth of tuck FL, BL, L-sit, straddle, PB support and the rest to build up the right foundation. Coupled with the nice seminar prehab and soft tissue work everything, particularly the elbows and wrists, are feeling much better doing it this way.

I've been hammering the plank, arch and hollow since November. Building up slowly this way my wrists and everything else haven't had a problem with the workload. I'm not in a rush to achieve anything sooner than I deserve, so I've been enjoying the hollows and archs.

The questions:

Now, my first question is what to do when one reaches the prescribed 3x60 on a particular move? Should this be held for one cycle of 4-12 weeks to solidify the gains or should it just be thrown into maintenance mode right away? I don't recall Coach going over this at the seminar. I thought I'd keep the plank at 3x60 with 20 second rests for a few weeks just to make sure it's under control. With the arch (due to tight shoulders) and hollow I'm also doing 3x60 with one pause in the 2nd and 3rd set building this way to the 3x60 with no pauses.

I haven't been following the SSC 50 % rule with my current FSP work. I've just kept it at about 80%-100% or just shy or form breakage. I'll be applying the rule when I start with joint intensive work, like GH and lever work.

My second questions has to do with the IC progressions. How are these implemented into the program? I've been doing them on ring strength days substituting XR planks and XR supports for the 5x15 HS Holds together with German hangs. I built up to a 3x60 XR plank and I'm currently doing 5x15 XR supports and German hangs. Should these be done like the FSP work, every WOD day?

It has been pleasant to notice, that my L-sit, FL, bodylevers and all the likes have been improving without direct work, just by concentrating on the foundation. The planche training is far away but I'm confident doing it like this will keep me and my joints happier.

***

As for my current programming, if anyone is interested, my typical WOD day (M, Tue, Th, Fri) looks like this:

1st workout between 8AM and 2 PM:

Warm up (alternating between Goblet squat, kettlebell freestyling, seminar warm up, rowing or rope skipping)

Prehab

Press to HeS work

WOD

2nd workout between 6PM and 22PM

FSP work

Rope climbing progressions

Off days have been floreio work and walking/runnning/sprinting. Max leg WODs are a mixture of heavy squats, deadlifts and single leg work and dynamic leg WODs are either the actual WOD or hill sprints.

As I don't have any FSP in maintenance mode everything is done in the 2nd workout. Once I decide to jump forward in the FSP work the maintenance work will be done in the 1st workout and the "building up" of the next progression to 3x60 will be done in the 2nd workout.

Thanks Blairbob for the 45/45/30/30/15/15 idea. I used this before the 3x60 approach.

Anyway, here were a few questions and a glimpse into my training. Hoping to make it to Mallorca 2011!

Blairbob

I do not see the need to worry about IronCross progressions until you have finished getting into intermediate level rings strength.

That means 20s FL and BL, StraightArm RingPressHS. Probably a 20s HS and 1m Ring Support besides a 20s straddle Planche (on rings). Of course, a wide arm MU, backward roll to support.

I've recently added a 60s ring plank support in my FSP. This is generally done after the german hangs. I'm still working Ring support as an FSP since I cannot do one for 60s ( just hit 50s last week after finishing a cycle ). During the support I try to lean forward as much as possible. And yes, I do 2 planche leans in my FSP WU on a stability ball bouncing up and down.

I have thought about adding some floor planche work but that's a lot to do and I was planning on worrying about planche after I have solidified my basic rings strength.