This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GB with UD 2.0 diet log

Started by grprahl, June 6, 2011 · 15 Replies · 1,768 Views

grprahl

So this is an interesting combination I've been wanting to try. For those who are unfamiliar, ud2 is a cyclic diet which works by severely limiting calories and depleting glycogen the first half of the week, then carb loading with a caloric surplus, then maintenance until the next week starts. It's primalily marketed as a fat loss diet, but endurance athletes have been known to benefit in competitions due to the glycogen supersaturation as well.

My goals are fat loss and strength gain due to the lower rep and volume template of the killroy template. Those workouts won't deplete glycogen as required by the diet. However, I will be doing approximately 30-45 minute bouldering sessions during the beginning of the week as well as depletion workouts I have gleaned from track (I will do the cycling equivalent for the most part due to some patellar tendinitis issues to start with).

Starting off I have measures maxes of:

Adv frog stand 24s

FL flat tuck 24s

Bl flat tuck 20s

Xr ppp 4x4

FL flat tuck rows 4x5

Xr dips 4x4

Flat tuck reverse yewkis 4x4

Wall hspu evevated 1" 4x4

Wide grip pullups plus 20lb 4x4

FL pulls straddle 4x4

Kipping muscle ups 4x3

Side lever pull negatives tuck 4x3

grprahl

Day one complete. Bike workout was 5 sets of 55s hard followed by 3:00 rest. This was tough. After I was done I could hardly go up or down stairs because of the lactic acid build up lol. Gb work was good. The adv frog stands feel pretty easy. Back lever was the hardest of the 3. Bouldered afterwards for about 45 minutes to an hour. A lot of time resting and trying new ways to attack a certain route.

Total calories were 1300.

grprahl

Day two went pretty smoothly at 1300 calories. Bike workout was 5 sets of 40 seconds HARD, 90 seconds easy. Again, after this I had trouble walking until I put my legs up in the air and shook them out.

GB static work went well, though the back lever was hard again, I'm thinking harder than it should be. When I tested for it, I didn't have a mirror handy, so I may have well been holding higher than horizontal, making it easier. I'm making a change and will now do 3 x 20 sec of Tuck BL instead of the 6 x 10 sec of Adv Tuck BL.

Also did the XR Dips and substituted the Rev. Yewkis variation with regular DB curls of 45 lb in each hand. Did 2x3x45 seconds (time under tension) of both machine hamstring curls and calf raises with 1 minute rest to deplete some more glycogen from those muscles, seeing as they don't get worked as hard from the bike. Went well. Bouldered for a bit after that. Didn't quite have the energy that I did yesterday, which is expected. Also did 20 minutes of bike cardio at 75% max heart rate. Surprisingly, for being on 1300 calories for two days straight, I'm not nearly as hungry as I'd assumed I'd be. Tomorrow should be harder because it's a day off from training but still low calories. I will do 45-60 minutes of moderate cardio but that's it.

grprahl

No cardio today. Did a lot of driving and was pretty exhausted. Will do some extra tommorrow morning before the beginning of the carb load. Total calories about 1400-1500.

Also just read an abstract that compared cycling at the same metabolic cost at 50 vs 100 revolutions per minute and the effect on glycogen depletion of type I vs type II muscle fibers. At 100 rpm, there was no significant difference between the change in size of the two fiber types. However, at 50 rpm, more glycogen was depleted in type II than type I, due to the greater resistance per revolution.

In order to incorporate this into my plan, I will switch up the bike workouts a bit on Monday/Tuesday, going to lower rpm but greater resistance. This would deplete more type II while the other low intensity cardio would be a bit more effective at depleting type I.

grprahl

Thursday: Side note* waist measurement this morning was 32.5". On monday it was 33.5". To me this is a sign that the workouts and diet are more or less doing their job as far as loss of glycogen/water weight. It's quite normal from when I did the UD2 previously.

Did 1:15 of broken up cardio. 30 min after waking up, 15 minutes when I first got to the gym, and another 30 after a short break of waiting for some buddies to show up. All done at a low to moderate intensity (135-150 HR).

This finished up the depletion/dieting portion of the week. Started the other half about 6pm. Did the GB stuff (static holds, weighted wide grip pullups, HeSPUs on wall). These were a bit tougher today, no doubt having to do with the fact that my body was starting to feel the effects of the past few days. Also did lower body lifts, about 2x8-9 per bodypart. After the lift I started the carb load. Had 3 high carb meals spaced out 2 hr apart from postworkout till bed.

Friday:

No workout today, but continued with the high carb meals spaced throughout the day. I figure I ended up consuming about 1000-1200 carbs over the last 24 hours, along with a moderate amount of protein and little fat. Feel good right now, a little tired/drowsy throughout the day but not too bad. Tomorrow morning I'll be able to gauge how well the carb load went as well as hit tomorrows workout hard and ready to go!

grprahl

Upon waking this morning, skin didn't feel "tight" like it does after an ideal carb load. At the same time, I didn't feel bloated by any means. I'll have to make some minor tweaks. Maybe less sugar (frozen yogurt, fruit) and more starches (pasta, potatos).

grprahl

After observations of the first week, I've decided that it's probably better not to keep trying to do two different things at once, that is, try to do the Killroy template, which is its own entity, along with UD2, which is also its own entity. I have decided that following the UD2 is more important to me at the current time. However, what I am going to do is continue to do the static hold work 4 days a week as with the Killroy. I just will be following the UD2 lifing plan as well as the nutrition plan.

Joshua Naterman

From the medical/biochemical side of things, you never want to fast (restrict calories) more than 48 hours in a row. That's when metabolic down-regulation occurs. Every other day fasting(restriction) will give much better results without screwing up your hormone levels, down-regulating your metabolism or driving you crazy.

I think you will find you get better results with the every other day as well, and to me it's a really easy way to live. I will probably do this forever now that I've been on it a few weeks... the changes in how I feel are amazing. I feel like a kid again, and I'm not tied to the fridge or the stove anymore. I'm also losing bodyfat fairly easily, with absolutely zero cardio. That's not the ideal way to lose the most fat, but it illustrates the point that feast/famine style eating with a clean diet (no added sugar, tons of greens and other veggies, some meat and some rice or other non-gluten containing grain (corn is the only other)) works all by itself. I am definitely below 10% now. Supposedly that's "impossible" without cardio according to lots of experts but I'm doing it.

The last time i was this lean I had to run myself into the ground. I prefer this way.

Larry Roseman

Late on this but ...

Dieting, caloric restriction, is so much easier for fat loss than working out.

I only started over the past few months. Why isn't it the ideal way to drop fat?

Compare knocking off 1000kcals of food intake vs a 4 hour workout:

The wear and tear on the body, the immune system, the additional eating brought on by physical demands,

potential muscle loss vs. temporary hunger which passes and general feelings of well being.

Over the long term moderate cardio does help keep it off, and resistance exercise preserves/enhances muscle mass of course.

Joshua Naterman

Why would you do a 4 hour workout, for one thing?

Larry Roseman
slizzardman said:
Why would you do a 4 hour workout, for one thing?

I'm not saying you would, just that it would be needed to match the potency of dieting.

Ideally one wouldn't need to diet, but it is so damn effective it is silly to ignore it.

I useed to because I thought it was vain or maybe just required deprivation.

But it gives back a lot more than it takes.

Joshua Naterman

No it wouldn't, that's crazy to say. There is more to weight loss than calories. If it was that easy EVERYONE would drop the weight they want to drop.

Diet is important, and there are certain methods of dieting that absolutely enhance your health both in the short term and long term, but it's not the whole solution. How and when you eat will absolutely be a massive factor in making visible changes to your physique but certainly not the only one.

For example, if you eat for the weight you are at right now and structure your diet so that it is very hard for your body to store the energy you consume as fat AND start intervals + strength training seriously you will completely transform your body. I have personally done this with a number of clients and I've seen them go from pears to slight V shape in 12-14 weeks consistently when they wanted to lose about 30 lbs of fat. They stayed the exact same weight throughout, but pants got looser and muscles got bigger.

If you don't want to lose muscle as well as fat you're going to have to USE your muscles on a daily or near-daily basis. I am personally finding daily to be more enjoyable and more effective. I'm ripped like I haven't been in years. Be ready for a ridiculously cut Naterman come September!

I don't know what sort of frustrations you are going through (or even if there ARE any) right now but the recent posts here just don't make much sense to me! What's going on dude?

Edit: I absolutely credit my shape to my diet for the most part, as far as the fat loss goes. Credit also goes to Jeff@CFST and his Biosig assessment and finally daily strength training along with 1-2x per week moderate to high intensity intervals. These are going to become 3x per week soon I think, I'm just lazy lol! I will absolutely say that I would not look like I look now if I was only dieting.

Larry Roseman
slizzardman said:
No it wouldn't, that's crazy to say. There is more to weight loss than calories. If it was that easy EVERYONE would drop the weight they want to drop.

Diet is important, and there are certain methods of dieting that absolutely enhance your health both in the short term and long term, but it's not the whole solution. How and when you eat will absolutely be a massive factor in making visible changes to your physique but certainly not the only one.

For example, if you eat for the weight you are at right now and structure your diet so that it is very hard for your body to store the energy you consume as fat AND start intervals + strength training seriously you will completely transform your body. I have personally done this with a number of clients and I've seen them go from pears to slight V shape in 12-14 weeks consistently when they wanted to lose about 30 lbs of fat. They stayed the exact same weight throughout, but pants got looser and muscles got bigger.

If you don't want to lose muscle as well as fat you're going to have to USE your muscles on a daily or near-daily basis. I am personally finding daily to be more enjoyable and more effective. I'm ripped like I haven't been in years. Be ready for a ridiculously cut Naterman come September!

I don't know what sort of frustrations you are going through (or even if there ARE any) right now but the recent posts here just don't make much sense to me! What's going on dude?

Edit: I absolutely credit my shape to my diet for the most part, as far as the fat loss goes. Credit also goes to Jeff@CFST and his Biosig assessment and finally daily strength training along with 1-2x per week moderate to high intensity intervals. These are going to become 3x per week soon I think, I'm just lazy lol! I will absolutely say that I would not look like I look now if I was only dieting.

Sorry but I think you are reading soemthing into my post that isn't there. I agree with what you are saying for the most part.

Things like meal timing, NEAT, EPOC, and hormonal response have an impact as well, though it is hard to quantify in an individual. The UD2 diet the OP refers to is certainly a challenging diet and not for everyone, but it has a good rep for stubborn fat loss. There are other ways too of course.

I'm not going through anything particuarly difficult. I just completed a moderate diet. Probably just going to focus on GB, some cardio and tennis for the next 8 weeks - probably not weight lifting. Not dieting at all now (maybe my that is why I was previously bitchy). My main point was to encourage people who hadn't dieted to take a look at it (if they need it of course). It is easier than many think.

Fasting isn't perhaps called dieting, but are you eating less calorically in the one big eating day than you would over 2 days? Do you perform different physical activities? You mentioned hardly any cardio.

No, I was just wondering why you thought dieting wasn't the ideal way to lose fat? If it's a significent amount of fat, it will be very difficult for a moderately overweight indivdual to burn enough calories through exercise alone to make a large dent. Intervals or any exercise certainly can be a part of any weight loss plan, especially for maintaining loss.

And they are the primary part of being fit.

Great to hear of your positive results!

Joshua Naterman

Sorry dude! I'm glad I was just reading too much into things.

I don't think that diet alone is the best option for anyone who is not medically unfit for exercise because no matter what changes you make in your diet you will not be increasing tissue vascularization or protecting yourself from osteoporosis or even burning as much fat as you really should be, and it will be impossible for the non-obese to lose JUST fat. At least some exercise is required to really get the full health benefits that are associated with fat loss, and it also helps you look better. That's just my take on it, I mean I'd much rather have someone diet and not exercise than not diet OR exercise! :P

I am probably overall on more than a 20% deficit, because my fasting day is at 50-60% of needed calories (though many times it is MUCH lower) and my regular day is probably short for the most part as well. There really isn't an overeating day. What I am moving towards now, since I'm definitely at a true 10% or slightly under, is a 10-20% deficit. That's low enough to whittle away the fat while allowing for muscle gain. I'm getting healthy enough to start doing some weighted push ups again and that's going to be my thing instead of bench. I want to see how much added weight I can use during push ups. That should be WAY more useful than bench press since it will develop the serratus anterior much more. Anyways the point there is that I am missing around 3 lbs off of my chest that should be there, and getting a little stricter on how low my deficits go will help me put the meat back on without all the potatoes! :P That was a "gain muscle without fat" joke, but I don't think it's a good one so I'm explaining it. Sorry for the facepalms. :lol:

Larry Roseman
slizzardman said:
Sorry dude! I'm glad I was just reading too much into things.

I don't think that diet alone is the best option for anyone who is not medically unfit for exercise because no matter what changes you make in your diet you will not be increasing tissue vascularization or protecting yourself from osteoporosis or even burning as much fat as you really should be, and it will be impossible for the non-obese to lose JUST fat. At least some exercise is required to really get the full health benefits that are associated with fat loss, and it also helps you look better. That's just my take on it, I mean I'd much rather have someone diet and not exercise than not diet OR exercise! :P

I am probably overall on more than a 20% deficit, because my fasting day is at 50-60% of needed calories (though many times it is MUCH lower) and my regular day is probably short for the most part as well. There really isn't an overeating day. What I am moving towards now, since I'm definitely at a true 10% or slightly under, is a 10-20% deficit. That's low enough to whittle away the fat while allowing for muscle gain. I'm getting healthy enough to start doing some weighted push ups again and that's going to be my thing instead of bench. I want to see how much added weight I can use during push ups. That should be WAY more useful than bench press since it will develop the serratus anterior much more. Anyways the point there is that I am missing around 3 lbs off of my chest that should be there, and getting a little stricter on how low my deficits go will help me put the meat back on without all the potatoes! :P That was a "gain muscle without fat" joke, but I don't think it's a good one so I'm explaining it. Sorry for the facepalms. :lol:

No problem man :)

I certainly agree with exercise while dieting, especially resistance exercise and moderate cardio. Intervals are short-lived, so should not be a problem a few times a week. I do tend to want to get more extreme which can be counter productive. But I don't like to diet for too long - 8 weeks seemed long enough - and I can live with out a ton of exercise during that time.

I'm pleasantly suprised by GB even though I don't train often. I recently smoked some teenage boys in a L-pullup contest. If they were regular pulls they probably would have won but I won with 11 clean ones and hit some nice Vs as well. They were quite impressed!

Weighted pushups - how do you do those? I've tried tossing chains over and plates on by back but it is awkward and I don't have a weighted vest. Chains were easier than plates but were kind of oily and messed up my shirt and skin :(

Joshua Naterman

LOL! chains are one way but I just use my vest. Weighted vests are extremely valuable training tools. I actually like belts a lot more for pull ups but the vests are fantastic for making tuck and flat tuck FL rows harder. Same for push ups and HSPU.