Hello Slizzardman, how are ya lately? I haven't posted in this forum for quite awhile, but I have been lurking around from time to time.
I've got a question that I only think you can answer, after looking at a thread about hypertrophy (the one saying weight lifting is superior to bodyweight exercises for hypertrophy), I read some of your philosophies, and they are stunningly similar to a training philosophy I recently read.
Now, the book I recently read is "Power to the People" by Pavel Tsatsouline, and there is a section on "How to become a Bear" (Bears are huge
). The Bear routine is supposedly designed for hypertrophy, as it was used by a "beefy soviet commando", and here is how it goes: (Copy pasted from the book)
"1) reduce the reps to 4-6 per set to allow for heavy weights;
2) perform many, 10-20 on average, sets;
3) terminate all the sets a couple of reps before failure to avoid premature
fatigue which would force the reduction in weights or/and sets.
The basic Power to the People! program which develops strength without bulk
calls for one heavy set of five reps and one set with 90% of that weight, for example
100x5, 90x5. A little comrade who wants to become the Big Brother should
not stop there. Reduce the weight to 80% of the first ‘money’ set, and keep doing
sets of five reps with short, 30-90sec, rest periods. When you have had enough,
that is you cannot lift 80x5 in good form, call it a day. It might take five or twenty
five sets, everyone is different. Just do not call it quits too soon. The beefy commando
who shared this program with me lifted 40-50 tons every workout. He had
to if he wanted to remain a bear."
Now this is stunningly similar to your training philosophy (for hypertrophy), of high volume, heavy low-rep sets. However I am using this "Bear" routine and tweaking it towards calisthenics.
I will be using Dips and Chin-ups, and possibly weighting them after I reach 20 sets of 5 for them. However due to the nature of calisthenics and the difficulty of getting precise resistance, the first two "money sets" (in the beginning of the second paragraph quoted from the book) is difficult to gauge when it comes to calisthenics, so I'll just jump right into it.
-So what are your thoughts on this?
-Would this be truly effective for hypertrophy?
-Is this going to work with Chin-ups and Dips (I might add One-legged Squats a.k.a Pistol Squats in as well)?
-What are your thoughts on the optimal rest time between sets?
-How would you gauge the resistance to fit the 10-20 set range?
Thanks and I'll gladly appreciate your input, after all, you're a beefy commando yourself.