So, on my quest to a full planche, I noticed something interesting. Right now, I have a 3 second straddle when fresh. When I go for either an advanced tuck or straddle, I hear this sound as if air was coming out of my ears. I hold my breath when trying. What exactly is going on, and is it common? It's not a problem at all, I'm just curious.
Rushing Air Sound?
Started by Seiji, May 29, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,402 Views
It just air pressure you are creating, similar to blowing out your ears from change in altitude. I don't believe its harmful, but honestly i've never heard of it happening.
I would say you are doing some kind of valsalva maneuver( strange enough as you must block your nose for this :shock: ). That is presurizing your ears from inside, very useful when traveling by plane or scuba diving. Dont hold your breath, expel a bit of air, I think is bad overpresurizing your lungs ( blood presure and ears integrity). Also some times when I tense my neck muscles hard enough there is some buzz in my ears( I think is from a movement of the ear cavity no air involved as far as I know).
Maybe is something completly different... Any ideas anyone? ![]()
That's got to be it Om, just needs to release some of the pressure out the mouth somehow.
Well, I do have a really strong... breath... lol
Sort of amazed I can do this then, I guess.
Some people, including myself, can open the eustachian tubes at will. The muscle activation isn't visible in any way, as the main working muscles are inside the head. When opening the tubes they create a rush-of-air-ish sound.
One function of this action is to equalize air pressure. The same muscles are also working when swallowing or yawning. That is why yawning or simply opening the jaw after a plane takes off "opens" the ears. It is also very useful when diving. In your case the strenuous position coupled with you holding your breath might co-activate the same muscles, which are responsible this action.
Normally this nifty action takes a gesture or two but for some people like me it's as easy as wiggling the ears. I still haven't met anyone else in person who can do this.
It could be this or something completely different...