Breaks - Quest for Mushroom Circles - Day 2 Posted

Started by Michael Traynor, May 28, 2011 · 11 Replies · 2,549 Views

Michael Traynor

Well yesterday I made my Pommel Mushroom. Today after my WOD I had my very first go on it. I am going to document my painfully slow progress in this thread :) I am putting it in DIgital Coaching instead of making a workout log because I am hoping that in a year this thread will serve as a training aid for other Pommel Noobies as you all pitch in to help me.

So: Here is the embarassement that is Pommel Mushroom Training - Day 1

AlkkWSFQ5ME

All advice welocmed at all times.

Other than all the normal WOD specific training I will be doing circle work after WODs until I have good form enough to use them as a warm up (in 2 years maybe)

I am also doing pommel mushroom specific conditioning after circle work: Static Holds, Pocket Tappers, Bum Tappers and I am using this video as a guide:

-uWoRBsPiek

Rings

Cool man!

I love the circles,I got the same video as a guide. I don´t start yet with that,but I woud love soon.

The swing to compensate for the rotation get me frustrated! I´ve read that you have to "draw an egg" with the shoulders.

keep training ;)

Alvaro

Did you read Coach Sommer stikie on circles?It Is very interesting. I first tried the paralel bar circles(I did it hanging from rings, the hard part is to stop!) and is amazing how well it gives you the fealing of "circling" there is a vast difference with just walking around the mushroom. Give it a try!

Blairbob

yeah, i just saw Pb circles in support the other month ago and really like it.

I would first work ONLY on the 1st 1/3rd of the circle. Basically swing till your hips push your first hand out of the way. Other hand must lean over wrist.

Michael Traynor

Will do Blairbob :) Thanks for the advice! Alvaro where is the sticky of circles, I couldn't locate it :)

The how I made the Mushroom post is now up in the Equipment Section: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6286#p56027

Alvaro

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1247

here it is, is for bucket circles not circles but I think that is the progression coach uses.

Lindbjerg

Great work! How did you build that?

Michael Traynor
Lindbjerg said:
Great work! How did you build that?
Breaks said:
Will do Blairbob :) Thanks for the advice! Alvaro where is the sticky of circles, I couldn't locate it :)

The how I made the Mushroom post is now up in the Equipment Section: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6286#p56027

Banzas

How's it going Breaks? Any progress? :)

Michael Traynor

Some people are storing a whole load of boxes in my gym :(( I haven't had the space to train circles since. I am very sad but stay tuned I am hoping to get some space back very soon and hit the circles hard starting next week :)

Michael Traynor

Hello all!

Thanks for all your advice and links to articles, having taken information on board and reorganised my gym so there is space again...Here is a Day 2 of Circle training, hoping to up the frequency of my training now too :)

NZzm1DOU9l8

Any and all advice welcome as always!

I think my next step is that I need to push my hips much further forward to eliminate the pike and allow the momentum to carry through, but let me know what you think :)

phken4343

One tips I would give is to not swing your right leg "under" your left leg. You want to swing the right leg at the same height or slightly over the left leg. Also, try to create about a 90 degree angle with your shoulders/armpits before you wind up. Here's a visual:

NRU8Frxs9v4

Other than that, keep stretching your shoulders. :)