This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kenny's gymnastics adventure

Started by kwesty92, May 26, 2011 · 60 Replies · 3,360 Views

kwesty92

I started a BtGB-type program a couple of weeks ago, and am starting this log to track my progress. I have been weight training for a while, but noticed a significant weakness in upper body strength which I hope to cure here. Stats right now are 19 yrs old, 5' 11", and 175 lbs. Going to try to keep my weight about the same, but wouldn't mind a couple extra pounds of upper body muscle :) As of now I plan to keep with this program for at least 6 months or so, then I'll evaluate from there. The basic program is going to be a typical M,T,Th,F with warm-up/prehab, FSP's, then the WOD.

Warm-up: so far, this has included Ido Portal's shoulder/scapula routine and a wrist mobility and strength routine I have cobbled together from different posts on the site.

FSP's: I am working on 6 positions right now, usually doing 4 of the 6 per day, chosen so I don't tire out the same muscles I will be using for the WOD. I pair L-sit and handstand, front lever and planche, and straddle L and back lever. All holds are for 4 sets of 15 secs.

WOD: I suck at pretty much every one I try, but have been scaling and have seen some progress so far, hopefully it keeps up!

For legs I plan to do the leg WODs as best I can with my limited equipment, and will occasionally either add in or substitute squats and deadlifts for leg WOD days when I can find some weights to use. I think I will also add in some sprint work on Saturdays for both conditioning and to hopefully help my vertical jump a bit. Also on Saturdays will be a stretching session.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

kwesty92

Side note: I will be following the WODs a week behind so I can see how everyone else scaled.

kwesty92

After failing horribly at tuesday's ring series, I was happy to be a bit more successful with today's WOD. Here it was:

shoulder routine, wrist series

4x15 secs:

Advanced frog stand alt. w/ straddle L low (on stairs)

Wall handstand

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded tuck BL + 5 Tempo tuck FL Rows (tried to do advanced tuck BL but was too difficult to keep back straight)

1 muscle-up to XR L-sit + 5 Tempo PPP with feet on ground (was tough to keep back from arching on these)

1 advanced tuck FL + 5 Tempo HLL

was surprisingly able to do real HLL's with good form as far as I can tell

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks -- can get to maybe a foot from the ground

Then went back to the rings to work on the two muscle up aspects I suck at -- did 3x5 of something slizzardman demonstrated in a video, going from the bottom of a dip into a negative MU transition as far down towards the pullup as possible while still being able to pull back up (suffice to say this wasn't very far :) ), then just hung around for a bit in a feet-assisted turned out false grip

kwesty92

Really enjoyed the WOD today!

Complete four rounds:

40’ Senders -- didn't use obstacles, just did two sets in a row of three successively higher jumps, no clue if this is correct or not

8 Box Jumps

4 Depth Jumps

12 Jumping Single Leg Deck Squats

Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

kwesty92

Did a short and sweet workout today.

3 x 5 muscle-up transition negatives, since the transition is by far my weakest point there figured no point in working the whole move

between these sets, hung around in a foot-assisted false grip -- still not good at this at all

10 x 20 yd. flying starts

stretching session

Played a good bit of tennis beforehand, then threw some stones around highland games-style with a friend later in the afternoon, so hope I'm not messing with my recovery too much.

kwesty92

Yesterday was at a friend's house with a squat rack, couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Squats:

5 x bar

5 x 135

5 x 225

5 x 255

5 x 275

5 x 285

Given that I was doing 3x5 for 295 lbs. for crossfit football before this, I was pumped that I haven't lost much squatting strength at all even with the reduced level of leg work, specifically weighted leg work. Am definitely going to reduce volume on the leg day today to account for the squatting on a rest day.

kwesty92

Leg WOD today, did only two sets instead of three because of the squats yesterday, not sure how much help that will be but I figured I should reduce volume at least somewhat.

Shoulder warmup

Wrist routine

FSPs -- did 5 of the 6 leaving only straddle L because it is already part of the WOD

4 x 15 secs L-sit/wall handstand (alternated)

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/adv. frog stand (frog stands were really difficult today for some reason, but I think it was more of a technique issue than strength, I'll see how they go tomorrow)

4 x 15 secs tuck BL

WOD:

1x5 natural leg curl negatives (as i understand it these are GHR's without the back extension at the beginning)

1x10 SLS holding 5 lb. dumbells

1x5 HeS RLL (these were a complete mess, fell over a bunch of times)

1x5 natural leg curl negatives

1x10 SLS holding 12 lb. dumbells

1x5 wall HeS RLL

4x15 low straddle L

I still don't understand the difference, if there is any, between HeS RLL's and pike HeS press -- if anyone would care to enlighten me that would be awesome!

kwesty92

Tough workout today, have a loooong way to go on handstand + press handstand strength.

Shoulder + scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSPs:

4 x 15 secs straddle L low/adv. frog stand

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

WOD:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

10 sets of max rep HS Wall Runs -- no way I was getting to the full ten minutes anyways, and might be playing tennis later, so I probably ended up with 4 or 5 mins aggregate time

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups (on knees)

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/adv. frog stand

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

Complete four rounds:

2 Cast Wall Walks

3 XR HSPU -- basically awkward, HeS range of motion with lots of help from legs, back was definitely arched -- if anyone could tell me how i could better scale these or how to use help from legs without letting the back arch that would be great

2 Cast Wall Walks

5 Bulgarian Dips between chairs

2 Cast Wall Walks

7 XR pushups

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups -- first set on knees, second on feet, i was pleasantly surprised with how well i did the second set on the feet, getting to ten on these got me almost exactly to the point of failure

kwesty92

Landmark today -- I was able to perform every element of a ring series!

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/adv. frog stand

WOD:

3 sets of: 1 MU, (1,2,2) XR L-sit press shoulder stand, (2,1,1) Bulgarian Dips, 3 Tick Tocks (tuck BL to adv. tuck FL)

5x15 seconds adv. tuck FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS -- tried to use less help from the legs this time

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Is is normal to avoid FSPs that "conflict" with work performed in a WOD? for example, I did not work front lever or handstand during warmup because I knew I would be holding them in the WOD.

kwesty92

Similar workout to last saturday

3 sets of 5 MU transition negatives + 15 secs feet-assisted false grip turned out

10 x 40 yd. sprint with makeshift sled

Stretching session

Came very, very close to dunking a basketball this afternoon, which inspired me to throw in 2 x 12 jumping deck squats to work on vertical

kwesty92

Was really trying not to mess too much with my routine for the time being, but after doing some reading I've convinced myself to stop planche work for the time being until I have progressed farther in the back lever. For one, this will give me a simple four FSP's to work, with even distribution of push and pull. Also, I think the BL work will give me some added biceps and shoulder girdle strength that I will need to start again working planche later.

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/wall handstand

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

WOD:

Complete 3 sets each:

Adv. frog stand + 5 Tempo MU (got all 5 the first set, last two sets were 3 MU then 2 negatives)

inverted hang to tuck BL + 5 Tempo HeS straddle RLL (definitely had to use a "jump" to get up, then did the negative as slow as possible)

front pull to adv. tuck FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts (aka pathetic attempts at L-sit lifts, tried to used tucked knees but that felt kind of awkward, so just settled with ~1 foot range of motion)

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

I know I'm making a lot of possibly unnecessary changes to my FSP warmup, but I think I will add 60s reverse plank to the end of my FSP's. I need to add a little extra work on straight-arm triceps strength with hips more forward after my failure at L-sit lifts today.

kwesty92

These puling workouts are better for my ego, since I don't suck quite as much as with everything else. Here it was:

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/wall HS

4 x 15 secs tuck BL

60 secs reverse plank -- this is the perfect hold for me for now -- wasn't very difficult to get 60 secs, so didn't affect rest of workout much, but was definitely working the core and straight arm triceps strength significantly

WOD:

Complete four rounds:

2 – tuck Front Pulls

5 – tuck FL Rows

2 – tuck Front Pulls

3 – straddle FL Pulls -- 3 rounds with questionable form, switched to adv. tuck for last round

2 – tuck Front Pulls

1 – 15 sec hold on rings at top of pullup, using false grip and legs in L -- this was a neat idea I came up with that I thought I'd try out. I don't have a rope, so instead of doing the towel pullups thought I'd try this, which works the core and back as a cirque would, while additionally working the false grip and MU transition, two of my weak points.

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/wall handstand

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

Perform the following:

3x10 SLS with 12 lb. dumbbell on each shoulder

3x5 NLC -- lots of arm assistance, tried to keep negative slow, only succeeded for the top third or movement or so

3x60m Sled Sprint -- put the two 12 lb. dumbbells in tire and pulled that

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

kwesty92

Was away yesterday, so did the WOD today instead.

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

WOD:

Perform:

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS -- tried, but ended more like press to tucked HeS then extended legs

2x5 Straddle Press HeS -- used a good bit of momentum then slow negative

Walking HSPU Ladders -- 10 total sets, alternating 2 box HeSPU + 6 box HS wall run steps + 2 HeSPU negatives with just 2 box HeSPU + 6 box HS wall run steps

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups -- real wrist pushups on feet for 2 full sets of 10 for the first time!

kwesty92

Stretching session today, otherwise took it easy.

kwesty92

Forgot to post after yesterday's workout:

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/wall HS

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

WOD:

Complete four rounds:

40’ Senders

12 Jumping Single Leg Deck Squats -- still love these, hard but fun

8 Box Jumps -- onto picnic table, tried to jump as high as possible each rep

4 Depth Jumps

Finish the workout with 2x30 seconds Weighted Pike Stretch w/ 25 lb. dumbbells

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L

2 x 15 secs wall HS

4 x 15 secs tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

WOD:

Perform the following:

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 3

5x15 seconds FL -- all adv. tuck

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS -- rounds 1 & 5 were shoulder stand holds, round 3 couldn't even get into HS, rounds 2 & 6 held HS w/ strap assistance

4x15 seconds German Hang -- didn't finish 3rd round after failing at getting into HS

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions -- these were easier than in the past, glad to see improvement

kwesty92

Fun WOD, felt pretty good today.

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/wall HS

2 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

WOD:

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Inverted hang to attempt at flat tuck BL + 5 Tempo Yewkis (tuck, flat tuck, flat tuck)

1 MU to XR L-sit + 5 PPP, hands facing backwards

1 front pull to flat tuck FL + 6 Tempo Single Leg HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

4 x 15 secs low straddle L/2 x 15 secs wall HS

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/2 x 15 secs tuck BL

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

Continuing with the halving of volume on FSP's that "interfere" with the WOD

WOD:

Complete four rounds:

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

3 box HeSPU: 3, 3, 3, 2+1

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

5 XR Dips to L-sit: 5, 5, 5, 4+1

2 L-sit press to Tuck PL

15 Clap Pushups: 15, 15, 15, 11+3+1

*L-sit presses to Tuck PL were not good at all, couldn't successfully make transition without getting caught on floor (was using dumbbells as parallettes) and cannot hold any sort of real tuck planche, so switched to straddle press wall headstands instead for the second two rounds.

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

kwesty92

I have been thinking a bit about my training, and realized the WODs didn't exactly fit my goals, since I'm not really training to be a gymnast, but rather for general fitness. I decided to take some ideas from some of Slizzardman's posts about low rep, high volume hypertrophy training and incorporate into a schedule slightly looser than that of the WODs. General idea will be two hypertrophy workouts per week, while adding in two leg days with barbell work (about to join a gym finally!).

Hypertrophy days will include FSP work, maybe 1-2 rounds of the WOD for structural balance and to see progress, then high number of sets of 3 of two alternating, antagonistic exercises. One day will be weighted dips and weighted chins, other day will be HSPU variations and FL pull variations.

Yesterday's workout:

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

2 x 30 secs wall HS

1 x 60 secs reverse plank

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

5 Cast wall walks

1 x 5 pike press wall HeS

1 x 10 straddle press wall HeS

10 sets: XR dips/12 lb. dumbbell weighted chins, minimal rest between sets

kwesty92

Leg workout today, felt good to do some barbell squats again!

Forgot to do the FSP today, but I think I want to still do my FSPs on leg days as well.

Squat: 5 x 45, 135, 225, 265, 275

Box Jumps: 3 x 6 holding 8 lb. dumbbells

3 rounds: 45 lb. plate push, farmers walk with 75 lb. dumbbells, each ~ 50 yds.

This little WOD was a killer, even with rest in between sets. I've never done plate pushes before, they're hard!

kwesty92

Shoulder/scapula warmup

Wrist routine

FSP:

2 x 30 secs wall HS/1 x 30 secs reverse plank

4 x 15 secs adv. tuck FL/tuck BL

One round:

2 tuck Front Pulls

couple of pullover attempts, until i realized they can't really be done on rings

2 tuck Front Pulls

5 TOPs Pulls

2 tuck Front Pulls

7 tuck FL Pulls

10 sets:

box HeSPU (not quite head to ground)/FL pulls (adv. tuck -> tuck about halfway)

kwesty92

Another leg day at the gym:

Deadlift: 5 x 135, 225, 275, 315, 335

2 x 10 single leg jumping deck squats

4 rounds: 20 yd. plate push (45 lb.) + 20 yd. sprint

Didn't do FSP today, think I will incorporate FSP and a bit of today's WOD into workout tomorrow.