I know what you mean sliz. It's a bit of the anticipatory response. Like imagining the guys walking towards you are going to attack you. Heart races, muscles tense. Or sexy mama is walking towards you and imagineshe might attack you
Heart races , won't go there
There is some benefit to being prepared this way, just in case.
However there is no benefit to having insulin pre-primed. Once insulin is "injected" blood glucose levels are reduced. If there is no elevated glucose level, well you have a potentially dangerous hypoglycemic situation. What I haven't noticed though are any symptoms of hypoglycemia resulting from artificial sweetners, at least in the amounts that I've taken them.
So I'd have to question whether it is significent when taking average quantities. There could perhaps be a minor blip. If researchers have noted this, I'd be interested in their study and will look around a bit for it.
Edit: This is the only real-world type human study that I could find. It raised GLP-1 rather than insulin.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index. ... 8&action=1
The deal is that here they found that drinking diet soda before eating carbs increased GLP-1 compared to drinking soda water.
GLP essentially moderates insulin. Insulin levels were the same after drinking the soda or water.
from wikip "... when the plasma glucose concentration is in the normal fasting range, GLP-1 no longer stimulates insulin to cause hypoglycemia. GLP-1 appears to restore the glucose sensitivity of pancreatic β-cells , with the mechanism possibly involving the increased expression of GLUT2 and glucokinase. GLP-1 is also known to inhibit pancreatic β-cell apoptosis and stimulate the proliferation and differentiation of insulin-secreting β-cells. In addition, GLP-1 inhibits gastric secretion and motility. This delays and protracts carbohydrate absorption and contributes to a satiating effect."
So it sounds like the belief that non-sugar sweetners raises insulin may be based on a poularization but mizunderstanding of this study.