Hi everyone!
I've had wrist pains for some time now, and I thought I'd come to this forum for advice as there are obviously some very experienced people on here.
I'm 19 years old and have been doing capoeira for about a year. The wrist pains date back further, though. When I was about 13, I found out I was able to lift myself up into a handstand from a sitting position on the floor (I have a few videos if you'd like to see
). I thought it was cool, so I practiced it a lot, never warming up, never thinking about what I was doing to my wrists. I gained quite a lot of balance and strength, so I was on my hands a lot. When I started doing capoeira, it hurt just a bit, so I didn't think much about it then either, but of course it got worse after a while and eventually I had to take 2-3 months break when my right wrist began to hurt too much. I then went back a few months ago when the pain had stopped, and fell right back in love with capoeira. Then, a few weeks ago, my left wrist started hurting the exact same way my right did back then!
Now, I'm not trying to diagnose myself, but the pain I'm feeling seems a lot like dorsal wrist impingement described here: http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_4_3.htm
I can't push myself up from a chair, I can't push open heavy doors, none of those movements. What seems so odd to me is that I can do virtually anything else with that hand. There's no pain during pull-ups, or even knuckle push-ups, finger push-ups - as long as it doesn't involve hyperextension and axial loading. Even hyperextension alone, pushing back my left hand with my right hand doesn't hurt. But you're probably all familiar with this.
My main question is: Is it okay for me to do the things that do not hurt? Seems a weird question, but I'm thinking I should do what I can to strengthen my wrists since I'm obviously a bit too eager when training compared to what my wrists are capable of, and I'm a bit scared that I should give it complete rest until the pain goes away before I do these things. What are your thoughts on this?
Thank you for a great forum!
- Michael