I am assistant coach at the local gymnastics club in my town. Now immediately throw out your preconception of what a gymnastics club looks like. We have two classes that meet once a week on a Wednesday in an old school gym call, we have mats, ropes, spring boards and some boxes to vault as well as wallbars. So we are not talking anything like a gym club that most of you train/coach at. I still absolutely love it and the kids are fantastic.
I tell you all this to give you some background, our kids are not crazy profitient in skills or strength but they work hard and are as far along as you would expect children that train gymnastics one hour a week would be. (we are hoping to increase frequency in the future but that is a side note)
So...
After warm up today I got our young people to sit in front of a section of wall bars and get into a feet elevated back support position, some couldn't manage to do it without piking their hips as you would expect, others did better.
After getting the feel of the position I challenged them to try to get their feet as high as they could maintaining proper form.
Then I told them to choose the highest rung on the wall bars that they could put their feet on and still do back support correctly and that we would all go up on the count of 3 and see who could keep position the longest. (I got another coach to judge).
In the first, younger class, I was not too surprised that there was nooone left after 10 seconds, but Imagine my surprise in the second class when one particularly promising girl chased me all the way to 2minutes 15, I was starting to get worried and I am now the owner of some tight triceps (we were both on the 5th rung of the wall bars. I was mightily impressed considering this girl trains one hour a week ![]()
So my challenge for a bit of fun is, how long can you hold your inverted support (no doubt some of you can hold it for 10 minutes if you wished but try it legs elevated and let us know) maybe I will try again for my max max hold next week. ![]()
