Hello. I've recently spent hours of my time learning about nutrition. Most of this learning was on these forums, but I also learned from other various web sources. I have developed a meal plan based on this information. One specific aspect to this menu is that it is all whole foods with no protein powders or supplements. The menu is designed to be Paleo. I know this is less than ideal, but this is how it is.
First just a little about me. I am 172 lbs. and 6 ft tall. My workout schedule is Monday Tuesday Thursday Saturday. My workout consists of a ten minute warm up, twenty minutes of skill development, SSC FSP, and then the GB WOD. My goals are to increase my muscle definition, improve my performance in the WOD, and become stronger. I have a real important goal of increasing the definition of my six pack, however shallow this may be. (it's currently there but could definitely be more defined.)
On to the meat of the post....(pun intended)
I wake up at 6:30 am and go to bed at 9:30 pm. All of these meal times before 2:00 pm are the only times I can eat because of my school schedule.
Breakfast (7:00 am)
- Banana (10 min before)
- 4 egg, spinach, cheese omelet
- Cup of skim milk
Lunch (10:30 am)
- Ham sandwich (about 8 slices of ham, 1 slice of cheese, 2 pieces of wheat bread) (not much I can do about this because it is what I bring to school.)
- Mixed nuts (almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, macadamias, and walnuts)
Pre workout (2:00 pm)
- Berries
- Apple or banana
- Raisins
During workout (2:30 pm)
- Raisins
- Water
Workout ends around 4:45 pm
Post workout #1 (5:00 pm)
- Apple or Banana
- 2 cups of skim milk (Chocolate or not?)
- Nuts? (fat source?)
Post workout #2 (5:30 pm)
- Can of tuna or ¼ to ½ breast of chicken
- Vegetables
Post workout #3 (6:00 pm)
Salad:
- Spinach
- Tomatoes
- Beans ( Red kidney, Chick (garbanzo), Cannellini, Black, Pinto)
- Cucumber
Post workout #4 (6:30 pm)
- Meat (Chicken, hamburger, tuna)
- Vegetables
Bed time snack (9:00 pm)
- Serving of 2% fat cottage cheese
I know that the amount of dairy I am consuming may not be ideal for the goal of a defined six pack. However, I am concerned about the amount of calcium I get, to prevent problems such as osteoporosis. Also, milk, to me, is the most easily accessible source of liquid protein which seems to be best for right after the workout for quick absorption.
Now what I hope to gain from YOUR knowledge and experience:
1. Your opinions on this menu. Is it missing anything? Anything I should take out?
2. What are your opinions on chocolate milk versus regular milk for post workout? I do not see the benefits of adding all of those unhealthy aspects in chocolate syrup/powder. I am fine with the taste of skim milk because I have grown up on it.
3. Do I need some fat post workout? Should I add this to my PWO meal #1? What would be a good source of this? My thought is nuts but these are not absorbed quickly.
4. What type of beans are most beneficial? I have access to the types of beans that I have listed, but I can probably get another type but it depends. Should I even be eating these? I believe they are a good source of fiber and some protein so that is why I included them.
5. What is my menu supposed to looks like on recovery days? I believe it should basically be the same breakfast and then throughout the day, all vegetables and meat. Please correct me if I am wrong.
6. I do have the materials to make some sort of shake with the Magic Bullet. Would this be beneficial do working something out for a PWO drink instead of milk? I like the idea of the same 2 cups of milk but blended together with various fruits/vegetables. Let me know your thoughts please.
Bonus!
Not nutrition side question: Is it ok that I typically do Friday's GB WOD on Saturday? I am usually busy on Friday and do not see harm in taking an extra rest day here.
Thank you for taking the time to read my entire post. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated, and you can sleep well tonight knowing that you have done a good deed. I will be sure to repay the deed. Although, I'm not sure how much I could help you with on gymnastic related topics. If you even need some math help though, I'm your guy. =)