Maltese on rings w/ pulley assistance

Started by Rings, May 16, 2011 · 21 Replies · 8,283 Views

Rings

Just kidding!

Hi from Spain,I´m new on the forum but I´ve a year visiting this web site.

Just show a vid with an "invention" that I did with pulleys and rope climbing for the rings:

It´s really fun feel the planche on rings! But still hard block the elbows to get the body down to the maltese. I´ve only been a year training with rings and I love it. All my respect for the great gymnasts!

Some comments are welcome.

Cheers

Landon

Very nice invention, it looks like it may be helpful for someone very close to the planche but just cant seem to make it. How much assistance would you say it gives?

Rings

Hi Landon,

About 50% I think so. It depend of the harness. If the harness is attached to the legs can help a lot,not very if it only on the waist.

Works as well for Iron cross. Is cool for straight arm push-ups,develop balance,etc..

I think that do a maltese with harness can be hard,like straddle planche on floor. Also can use as counterweight (attach weight to the rope instead of my waist) With counterweight can work 30%,20%,10%....

Blairbob

We often call these "Dream-Machines". Many coaches like and dislike them.

Gregor
Blairbob said:
We often call these "Dream-Machines". Many coaches like and dislike them.

I don't like doing it with elastics :lol:

Only on cables, even better with weights on it, so you can meassure and increse or decrease resistance.

Rings
Gregor said:
Blairbob said:
We often call these "Dream-Machines". Many coaches like and dislike them.

I don't like doing it with elastics :lol:

Only on cables, even better with weights on it, so you can meassure and increse or decrease resistance.

Hey Gregor,nice to see you on my thread ;)

Yeah,using counterweights may be better way.

Dream machine:

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/gymna ... ng-trainer

I build the same with 0 cost.

2 pulley wheels,climbing rope,carabiners and 2 bag strap for the harness: http://www.golfbuggy.cn/images/accessory/bag_strap.jpg

Just work!

Gregor

rope is not good, use steel cables.

Alvaro

muy currado si señor, bien venido!, de donde eres? :D

Rings
Gregor said:
rope is not good, use steel cables.

Why?...I mean,my rope isn´t elastic. More security with steel?

In any case,thanks for the tip.

omegant said:
muy currado si señor, bien venido!, de donde eres? :D

Uep!..mallorquín!..soy de Madrid.

Que va,no está nada currado,en realidad es una tontería de hacer,pero muy divertido.

Gracias por la bienvenida ;)

Another one vid doing my first backward roll in Oct 2010:

I think the most complicated of the gymnastic is the skills with elbow lock,the straight arm will take looooooong time!

Gregor

safety! very easy can slip over the wheel! Once happend to me and it was not pleasent.. Other thing is: it's more natural to real rings :mrgreen:

Rings
Gregor said:
Once happend to me and it was not pleasent.

I can imagine :lol:

I got this pulley:

cmcapture23.jpg

It´s more safety. In any case I´m going to try the cable.

Any recomendations for exercises to do with pulleys? Straight arm push ups,or whatever?

Thanks

R

Gregor

That's better wheel that i used :mrgreen:

Depends on your phisical state.

Joshua Naterman

Pulleys with ball bearings are the best, they are very very smooth. Garage door pulleys are a good idea and the garage door cable is also a fairly good idea. Steel cable is pretty strong stuff. If you go to REI you can find 1/8 or 1/4 nylon accessory cord that's good for 800+ lbs and that will fit quite well into the garage door pulleys or the one you have.

Rings
Gregor said:
That's better wheel that i used :mrgreen:

Depends on your phisical state.

Rookie :oops: I think I´m on the first level of conditioning.... Muscle up,backward roll,HSPU,solid advanced planche (2" straddle),levers,etc... Just learning to play with rings.

slizzardman said:
Pulleys with ball bearings are the best, they are very very smooth. Garage door pulleys are a good idea and the garage door cable is also a fairly good idea. Steel cable is pretty strong stuff. If you go to REI you can find 1/8 or 1/4 nylon accessory cord that's good for 800+ lbs and that will fit quite well into the garage door pulleys or the one you have.

Hi Slizzard,

REI is a bit far from Spain but thanks for the tips ;) I´ll looking for this kind of cable here.

My pulleys are from a multi station gym,also have cable,maybe can use this one.

Joshua Naterman

Nice! Those are probably plenty good pulleys.

I guess I am lucky to have access to so much stuff here.

Timy7

Im a climber, and your fine using rope. Cable would be nice, but for what you have the rope will work great. Most rope has a breaking strength of 3000-5000lbs. Just dont use cheap rope.

Can we get more pictures of how you set that up? Im very close to a full planche on rings and want to play with this idea a little.

Thank you.

Gregor
Timy7 said:
Im a climber, and your fine using rope. Cable would be nice, but for what you have the rope will work great. Most rope has a breaking strength of 3000-5000lbs. Just dont use cheap rope.

Can we get more pictures of how you set that up? Im very close to a full planche on rings and want to play with this idea a little.

Thank you.

It's not about breaking, it's about sliping of the wheel and second, it's not the same feeling doing it on rope or on cables.

Rings
Timy7 said:
Im a climber, and your fine using rope. Cable would be nice, but for what you have the rope will work great. Most rope has a breaking strength of 3000-5000lbs. Just dont use cheap rope.

Can we get more pictures of how you set that up? Im very close to a full planche on rings and want to play with this idea a little.

Thank you.

My rope has almost 15 years old,from my climbing years when I was a kid. The rope still seems in great condition.

I´m not sure the pulleys help for planche if you are very close to the full planche,maybe too easy with pulleys. I think it work better for work iron cross,maltese...something that need a hard straight arm skill.

Some pics:

cmcapture28.jpg

cmcapture29.jpg

To Gregor :lol:

cmcapture30.jpg

Gregor

hahaha. You didn't understood me. I was not talking that the rope will tear. I mean't rope can get out from wheels' canal and then it can mess up your shoulder (one wheel stop turning, 10-15cm drop of rings on one side where the rope jumps out from canal). Mine rope was ok too and new, it has nothing to do with ropes condition.

Rings

hehe...I know,just was a joke!

One time (doing the fool) I got the thick rope out from the thin canal (fortunately still holding by the screw) and I was completely unbalanced.

Timy7

Rings, any rough measurements on how much rope is attached and about how long each strap is? I appreciate it very much.

Hopefully gonna set it up tonight.

Rings
Timy7 said:
Rings, any rough measurements on how much rope is attached and about how long each strap is? I appreciate it very much.

Hopefully gonna set it up tonight.

No matter how long is my rope. it depends how high are placed your ring´s strap.

Be carefully to leave enough rope so the knot does not touch the pulley wheel when your body are up or down. (Try Pelican or hang and support on rings to be sure about that)

Use this kind of knot:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_AqUCUOo74q8/SaVEG ... 5B1%5D.jpg

Would love see pics when you set it up ;)