Anyone ever seen this dvd? It's from Matt Furey.
"Secret Power of HS training"
Started by Warrior'sSuite, May 8, 2011 · 7 Replies · 6,605 Views
yes. there is more, as well as better, information here on the forum. don't waste your money.
whitemonkey said:yes. there is more, as well as better, information here on the forum. don't waste your money.
Buying it? I was thinking of downloading it but it didn't work and I had to become member of some site and hassle like that.
Nah I was just interested in some of the things he says appear in the dvd like the "handstand variations that will build a vise-like grip even when you don't think you're training your hands" and "Why your legs are three times stronger than your arms and how to correct this ratio".
I remember coming across some of Matt Furey's stuff years ago and laughing because most of it was stuff we did training in karate or what I came up with on my own at home. Training HeSPU and head bridges.
Seek elsewere for mastery but there IS power in HS training.
Furey.
rhyneza said:Matt Furey is a little south of sane - but he is great. He had a DVD out there on building Gorilla strength – the idea was so out there you just “had to see†what we was talking about (of course I resisted as he wanted money).Furey’s real skills are in his wrestling where, I think, he was an all-American under Dan Gable but he took his efforts to the eastern style of striking/grappling martial arts and made a name there. He is like a lot of us and would probably fit in very well on the forum. But he has never been exposed to high level structured gymnastics, especially by a coach like the ones we have access to on the forum, beyond the basic levels used for sport training.
This is of course just what I know by word of mouth – I have seen him at a few wrestling camps and seminars. Many wrestlers have some basic exposure to tumbling, handstands, and rope climbing.
But his stuff is all “info commercial†but he has a unique way to draw you in with some of those claims. I tell you his Gorilla strength DVD just seemed so wild. HaHa!
Yeah, the guy is a good writer and he can make it interesting and lure you in, if it is even him that writes those articles that is.
rhyneza said:Matt Furey is a little south of sane - but he is great. He had a DVD out there on building Gorilla strength – the idea was so out there you just “had to see†what we was talking about (of course I resisted as he wanted money).Furey’s real skills are in his wrestling where, I think, he was an all-American under Dan Gable but he took his efforts to the eastern style of striking/grappling martial arts and made a name there. He is like a lot of us and would probably fit in very well on the forum. But he has never been exposed to high level structured gymnastics, especially by a coach like the ones we have access to on the forum, beyond the basic levels used for sport training.
This is of course just what I know by word of mouth – I have seen him at a few wrestling camps and seminars. Many wrestlers have some basic exposure to tumbling, handstands, and rope climbing.
But his stuff is all “info commercial†but he has a unique way to draw you in with some of those claims. I tell you his Gorilla strength DVD just seemed so wild. HaHa!
Yup, I had been doing some of matt fureys stuff before I found out about this site and the book. And real gymnastics for that matter.
So I would say that he has good tips for staying healthy, looking good, health in general, ect.. However for hardcore gymnastics stuff he is not quite in the same league. But I will say that he is good enough that you might find a couple tips that will be helpful that you did not know before.
I downloaded that course at one time (I wasn't willing to fork out $120.)
haha, totally not worth the money. You can find all of the exercises on the internet. ![]()
And when he says this course will teach you to walk on your hands, you get the impression you will literally walk on your hands in a freestanding handstand. Nope. They're actually just cast wall walks. lol. He confuses HSPU's for HeSPU's..
Other than general fitness and longevity, I would avoid his courses.....He has a respectable amount of stamina and strength but no knowledge in training these kinds of maneuvers...
He seems ignorant to rep/set schemes, periodization and muscle balance. The only correct concept he holds concerning high level strength training is don't train to failure.
He has a good sense of humor though, hahaha. Check this video out. Watch the one on the bottom called "forks and knives".