Hi guys,
I have a question for any muscle-up experts on the forum. My gym has an assisted chin/dip machine: the type that lets you kneel on a pad which takes weight off you in 5kg increments. (5kgs is the minimum amount of assistance the machine can offer). I figured this machine would be a good way to learn the MU without developing a kipping habit - i.e., strict form all the way because your knees won't leave the pad. I set the machine to the minimum assistance (5kg), hung my rings from the chin bar, and knocked out 3 sets of 5 MUs. Over the past month I've built up to adding weight to myself (a 15kg disk tied to my waist) while still using the machine to hold my legs for me with minimum assistance(5kg). I figured that's the same as me doing strict-form MUs with 15kgs(weight disk) minus 5kgs(machine assistance)=10kgs total added to my bodyweight. Pretty impressive, I thought. Tried to do an unassisted MU today for the first time - I stopped dead at the top of the chin-up portion. What do you think? Is my machine-based plan to develop a strict MU fundamentally flawed or am I just missing something small?