How To Train For Flexibility

Started by StevenL, August 7, 2008 · 5 Replies · 6,372 Views

StevenL

How do these people(gymnasts) get so flexible? What kind of stretching should I do? How much? How long? When? If some flexible person could help me out, I would very much appreciate it.

chauinc

I suggest you read this flexibility guide written by a member of the trick tutorial forums.

http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flexibility

It will teach you about thinks like passive static, active static, dynamic and isometric stretching. And it is all written casually so anyone should be able to understand it. Also even though step 1 says "Learn the role flexibility training plays in tricking." you should read it anyways some of the things in there apply for all sports.

And as a word of advice DO NOT do every stretch listed every day.

Blairbob

I haven't checked out the Trickstutorial pages in ages since when I was teaching myself a few tricks. I have them archived on a hard drive or media somewhere.

Currently, this is generally what I'm using.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32663&page=3

Coach Sommer had a good blurb on his stretch protocols recently on a thread somewhere as well.

JL
chauinc said:
I suggest you read this flexibility guide written by a member of the trick tutorial forums.

http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flexibility

It will teach you about thinks like passive static, active static, dynamic and isometric stretching. And it is all written casually so anyone should be able to understand it. Also even though step 1 says "Learn the role flexibility training plays in tricking." you should read it anyways some of the things in there apply for all sports.

And as a word of advice DO NOT do every stretch listed every day.

I have a question. The last aspect of isometric stretching in that tricks tutorial suggests holding a 30 to 60 second contraction, but it doesn't clearly point out that you should once again relax into the stretch. Are they suggesting you end the session with simply a contraction? If so, any ideas on how this helps rather than finishing with a relaxed stretch?

chauinc
JL said:
chauinc said:
I suggest you read this flexibility guide written by a member of the trick tutorial forums.

http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flexibility

It will teach you about thinks like passive static, active static, dynamic and isometric stretching. And it is all written casually so anyone should be able to understand it. Also even though step 1 says "Learn the role flexibility training plays in tricking." you should read it anyways some of the things in there apply for all sports.

And as a word of advice DO NOT do every stretch listed every day.

I have a question. The last aspect of isometric stretching in that tricks tutorial suggests holding a 30 to 60 second contraction, but it doesn't clearly point out that you should once again relax into the stretch. Are they suggesting you end the session with simply a contraction? If so, any ideas on how this helps rather than finishing with a relaxed stretch?

No I think the person that wrote it meant you contract for 30-60, relax, go lower, and repeat.

Terry

Check out Relax into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline