I picked up a copy of Naked Warrior, but saw no difference in grip dynamometer readings when applying the various gripping "zipping" and gluteal nut cracking techniques. Can anyone who has experienced a result offer any pointers, or anyone who hasn't openly criticize? thanks
Any Pavel fans?
Started by Animalonfire, May 2, 2011 · 8 Replies · 3,129 Views
This is interesting. I've never seen anyone apply science to this.
That said, I still believe in Pavel's "full body tension" stuff - it just feels better. Whether or not it makes a measurable difference is moot (but still interesting!)
Why is whether or not it makes an actually difference in force production a moot point?
RatioFitness said:Why is whether or not it makes an actually difference in force production a moot point?
I didn't mean in general, I meant to me.
phrak said:That said, I still believe in Pavel's "full body tension" stuff - it just feels better. Whether or not it makes a measurable difference is moot (but still interesting!)
I really enjoyed his power to the people. Good simple routine to get stronger.
Naked warrior left a lot to be desired though.
Animalonfire said:I picked up a copy of Naked Warrior, but saw no difference in grip dynamometer readings when applying the various gripping "zipping" and gluteal nut cracking techniques. Can anyone who has experienced a result offer any pointers, or anyone who hasn't openly criticize? thanks
When we talk about full body tension and how to apply it in a term of energy transmission, this is not something that somebody will tell you, and now you will be stronger at once. This is process to learn. Body position, strong body muscular coordination and strength needs time to properly adopt it through lots of practice. Most of karatekas in Okinava and others, practise this skill and power through kata with the same principles for years.
Thanks for the responses. In Pavels defense he clearly said try again later on if you don't get it, however I was secretly looking forward to results like 40lb from scale weight in IC (probably 4x that increase in bent arm as 2x sets of muscles at 1/2 lever length! Certainly dubious if it's a "secret"). If there is a 1% strength increase, leading to a 1% increase in gains then by the tenth workout there would be 10% increase (1.01^10=1.1) and continuous exponential increase, so I suppose its worth giving it a shot even without a noticeable difference.
The core compression stuff later on is ace. I was feeling lightheaded after a valsalva and not getting the full benefit until reading that. Certainly some good stuff in there, and I'll absolutely get power to the people if only to learn the side press
Tried the grip test again after a few days, no increase in right hand but bilateral deficit is totally gone! Pavel:1 AOF:0 ![]()
Pavel has good material in my opinion. One of the greatest parts of old school training, from farmers walks to barrel chest carries and bent presses is that you can not be strong without full body tension and these FORCE you to use full body tension!!!