A shoulder rehab routine
My question is this: How to construct a shoulder rehab routine.
The basic problem is: I know which muscles to train, and which to ignore. There is no shortage of exercises being suggested, but I have found little on how to put it together. Which exercises to choose before others, which to ignore, totalvolume, frequency etc?
The real question is how to plan the specific shoulder rehab. Also I am not sure how brilliant the core conditioning is, however that is less of an issue.
I have been â€diagnosed†with subacromial impingement, and have a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus.
My focus is to do what I can. Doing a bunch of core work, and specific shoulder rehab exercises. (4x /week).
I am working with a PT. Mostly he is doing mobilization of the T-spine and trigger point work.
On top of this and my rehab program there is a bunch of daily mobility work: stretching, lacrosse balling etc.. (Inspiration is from http://www.Mobilitywod.com primarily)
Also trying hard to improve my posture in every imaginable way. Primarily: Esther Gokhale – 8 Steps to pain free back.
I have gotten good advice on the forum on my injury(ies) previously, but with progress new questions arise.
Previous thread: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3803
However it seems to be a different topic all together also my Google / Search magic has not been able to turn up what I am looking for. If all of this has been covered previously, please point me in the right direction.
I have found some sources on shoulder rehab I thought I'd post in this context, most has already appeared on the forum in various threads.
Cressey: Shoulder Savers: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i
Robertson: Push up, face pulls and shrugs: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/push-ups-face-pulls-and-shrugs/
Diesel Crew: Shoulder rehab protocol: http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab
There is of course Idos stuff: http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/scapula-mobilization-and-sequences.html
Anything by Robertson, Cressey and Reinold I have found to be good advice see:http://www.mikereinold.com/
My current template
4x / week (Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri)
Pre work out stretching
Infraspinatus (Sleeper stretch) 2 x 60s
Wall pec stretch 2 x 60s
Warm up: Jump rope: 5 minutes
FSP
1. Superman → 2x45s
2. Hollow → 3xMax (30, 20, 20-ish at the moment),
3. Reverse Plank: 60 s
4. Plank: 60 s
5. Chin Up Hold → NO WAY JOSE
6. Parallel bar support → NO WAY JOSE
7. German Hangs → 3x30s with feet support
Pre-hab:
1. Wrist routine
2. Planche Lean 30s
Alternating between A and B. Mostly done as circuit with rest between rounds.
#1A. â€Set the scapulaâ€
1.Bulgarian XR Rows (5 x 5 )
2. Stability Ball rolls (3-5 x 10)
3. V-ups ( 3-5 x 5 )
#1B. â€Set the scapulaâ€.
1. Side planks lifts, one legged (3 x 8 )
2. Body Lever negatives (5x1)
3. Hip Lift / Raise (3x 10)
4. Hip Thrusts (3 x 20)
# 2. Remember to â€set scapula†Done as a circuit. Rest between rounds.
1. Scapular Pushups, feet elevated – 5 x Full ROM, 5 x Top part of the movement
2. Trap 3 Raises – 2-3 kg – 3x10
3. Rear delt flyes – 3kg – 3x 10
4. Sidelying rotations – 2-3kg - 3x10
Finish with:
2x 10 - Band dislocates
1 x 10 - Wall slides
End template,
best regards
Fryk