I'm trying to do the first progression for doing muscle-ups but am having difficulty lowering myself from the midpoint to bottom. I guess I lack the strength to lower myself properly. Any recommendation on exercises I can do to build up to doing the muscle-up xr negative (I could just be doing it wrong)? Also, since you start with straight arm, do you get to that spot by stepping off a chair as opposed to jumping into it? Thanks
Muscle-ups XR negative - help needed
Started by changeup, April 24, 2011 · 4 Replies · 4,598 Views
I use a bench that's quite high, so that when I'm in the support position, my feet touch it. From there, you can ease the lowering part and slow it down with your feet.
I think that doing regular PB dips would do more good, though. Muscle ups can be quite tough for your elbows, and it's better to strengthen your arms a bit first. I had the same issue in the past, and used single bar dips to help it.
I don't have a set of bars to do dips on, but that's a good idea with the chair to use for assistance. I'll have to give that a try when I do my workout today. Thanks ![]()
Yeah, russian dips help a lot with this. Two benches can work if they are high enough since you need transition room (which you don't really have on chairs or barstools).
For now, I would use a foot assist for the negative. Or prop your feet on a box or something like a box.
Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed the chair was a bit too low for the transition phase and it was difficult to pass through. I'll try a secured step ladder or something higher during the next workout with it.