This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Alexx's Workout Log

Started by AlexX, April 24, 2011 · 109 Replies · 6,363 Views

Joshua Naterman

Yikes... Yea, permanent rehab is probably the only way to keep that under control. In theory ligaments can re-attach after a while, so who knows... at any rate, slowly strengthening the wrist should get it to where you can at least do your basic stuff without pain. I hope! :P

AlexX

Shrimps 1x5 - 45 lbs - felt knee discomfort and stopped, instead finished with SLS but reduced the range of motion to parallel and to further reduce knee strain did them off of a box so that I can push my hips back even further - 3x8 - 45 lbs.

A1 Half GHR - 3x6

A2 SLHT - 3x6 - 25 lbs.

Finger Extension - 3x20 - Orange band

AlexX

Upper body warm up.

Front lever - 6x10

Manna - 6x10

Shoulder prehab - 3x6 - 5 lbs, er - 3x10 rb

AlexX

Wrist is responding very well to supination/pronation exercises as well as ulnar deviation and I think I fixed my knee problem. Apparently using my track sneakers for tumbling/work was not a great idea. Worked barefoot today and my knees weren't aching like crazy by the end.

Wrote out an outline of a routine for the next cycle as most of my injuries are either healed or getting better. If anyone wants to comment on it I am open to criticism.

Day 1

Warmup

Handstand - 10 minutes

A1 Front Lever Pulls - 3x4-6 - Straddle

A2 Handstand Press - 15 - Bars

B1 Iron Cross Pulls - 3x4-6

B2 Single Leg Archups/vertical jumps/? - still deciding on what to put here.

Day 2

Warmup

Handstand - 10 minutes

Handstand Wall Runs - 10 minutes* Depending on how hard or easy this is, I might replace these with the wide arm handstand.

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Manna - 4x15

A2 SLS - 3x4-6

Day 3

Warmup

Handstand - 10 minutes

Same as day 1 - I will continue to alternate upperbody days. So when I start over with Day 1 again the upperbody workout will be from day 2 but the legs will still be ?.

Half GHR - 3x4-6

Warmup 1x12

Wallslides

Shoulder Dislocates

Thoracic Extensions

Back Lever - 10-15 seconds

Lunges

Side Lunges

Front Kicks

In between Day 1-2 and 3-1

Soft Tissue Work

Prehab Routine 3x done in one giant set:

Ys

Rear Delt Flyes

External Rotations/Internal Rotation - alternate between days.

Wrist Pushups

Wrist Extension

Ulnar/Radial Deviation

Toe Raises/Calf Raises

*I might just split up the prehab exercises and do them at the end of the workouts throughout the week but I think having their own day is a better idea.

Stretching 2x - between days 2-3 and 3-1.

AlexX

Week 6

Upper body warmup

Back Lever - 6x10 - Half lay

Handstand Press - 10 total - Parallel Bars

Shoulder Prehab + Internal rotations - 3x6 - 5 lbs.

*Second day without wearing my sneakers at work and knee pain is totally gone. This was an easy fix :). I am only one that wears shoes at work anyway so going barefoot is not a problem. Have to keep in mind about walking around in tennis shoes too much for the future.

Tumbled again today and shin splits came back right away. Need to start doing some ankle prehab work to see if it helps.

AlexX

Legs weren't feeling so good after tumbling so I just did prehab today.

Ulnar/radial deviation - 3x15

Single leg toe/calf raises - 3x15 - red band for toe raises

Mobility circuit - 3x12

*Traps are still sore from doing handstand presses on bars even though I did less reps they feel much harder on bars. Will probably keep doing them on bars for the next cycle as well.

AlexX

Have to seize my cycle here as I have to go away until wednesday. So wednesday I'll start my next cycle.

Couldn't train at home today but did the gymnastic girls conditioning for bars at the gym in between classes. Here is the workout:

100 Grip changes

25 Chin-up to pullover, fall back to chin-up

25 Chin-up fall to candle, back to chin-up

25 Slides

25 Hanging leg lifts (this was straddle ups but they were too easy)

10 Press handstands on a bar (they do them with a coach spotting)

10 Pike press handstand rebounding from the floor (forgot the name)

This was way harder than I anticipated. Thought I'd be able to do it no sweat but this was pretty tiring, part of it was that I never do such high repetitions though. Also the girls usually condition two events and I only did one.

AlexX

Warmup 1-2x12

Wallslides

Shoulder Dislocates

Thoracic Extensions

Ys - 5 lbs.

Rear Delt Flyes - 5 lbs.

Bodyweight Face Pulls

Front/Side/Back Kicks

Day 1 - Thursday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

A1 Front Lever Pulls - 3x3 - Straddle

A2 Handstand Press - 3x5 - X 4 weeks into the cycle injured wrists replaced with maltese block presses.

B1 Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5

B2 Archer hold - 3x30 second holds.

Day 2 - Saturday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Straight arm work - 4x15

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Handstand - 10x30 seconds

A2 Side and back leg kicks - resisted - 3x15

Day 3 - Monday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Same as day 1 - I will continue to alternate upperbody days. So when I start over with Day 1 again the upperbody workout will be from day 2 but the legs will still be Single Leg Archer holds.

Weighted push/pull - 3x

Wednesday, Sunday

Soft Tissue Work, Light Stretching

Prehab Routine 3x15 done in one giant set:

Band External Rotations

Internal Rotations

Wrist Extension

Finger Extension

Radial Deviation - X - was aggravating a a wrist injury.

Wrist Pushups - X - was aggravating a wrist injury.

Toe Raises - 45 lbs

Single Leg Calf Raises - 45 lbs

Heavy Stretching - Friday .

AlexX

Day 1

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

A1 Front Lever Pulls - 3x3 - Straddle

A2 Handstand Press - 3x5

B1 Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - about a 45 degree angle at the arms.

B2 Archer hold - 3x30 second holds. - way harder than I anticipated.

Doing prehab work before the main workout was a pretty damn good idea. Usually I am too tired at the end to do assistance work with any real intensity so this worked out pretty well and it didn't effect my main workout.

AlexX

Soft Tissue Work, Light Stretching

Prehab Routine 3x done in one giant set:

Band External Rotations - 12 - Red band

Band Internal Rotation - 8 - Red Band

Wrist Pushups - X

Wrist Extension - 15 - 10 lbs.

Radial Deviation - 12

Pronation - 10

Toe Raises - 15 - Black band

Single leg Calf Raises - 20

AlexX

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Handstand Wall Runs - 10 minutes - made it to 7 minutes and had to take a lot of breaks.

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Manna - 4x15 - bent leg

A2 Half GHR - 3x6

AlexX

Week 2 - Missed Wednesdays prehab and Friday stretch.

Thursday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

A1 Front Lever Pulls - 3x5 - single leg

A2 Handstand Press - 3x5

B1 Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - 45 degree angle - getting much easier already.

B2 Archer hold - 3x30 second holds

Today

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Straight arm work - 4x15

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Manna - 4x15 - bent leg

A2 Resisted side and back kicks - 3x15

*Behind the shoulder area has been getting a bit aggrevated with manna work (probably since I started pressing the hips out again), if it continues I'll drop the manna work for now and wait until the subscap is stronger. Not quite sure what I would replace the manna work with though.

AlexX

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

A1 Front Lever Pulls - 3x5 - single leg

A2 Handstand Press - 3x5

B1 Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - about a 45 degree angle at the arms.

B2 Weighted Push pull - 3x - used my car as the weight.

Handstand presses are finally getting easy and I am able to do 5 reps without huge breaks in between each one. Next cycle I'll start working on doing pike presses :). Made some changes to my routine: Took out manna work and replaced it with handstand work and replaced the SLS with the weighted pulls and pushes. I wasn't close to the manna or anything but I hate taking it out because it was working retraction and depression very nicely. However, Iron Cross pulls seem to be doing something similar for depression since I work on depressing like crazy while doing them.

Wrist is feeling much better and just about the only thing aggravating it these days is doing work on parallel bars (handstand and L-sit work on floor is ok though).

AlexX

Wednesday

3x

External Rotations - 8 - red and orange bands

Internal Rotation - 12 - red and orange bands

Wrist Extensions - 15 - on knees

Wrist Extension weights - 10 - 12.5 lbs

Ulnar deviation - 10

Toe Raises/ Single Leg Calf Raises - 20

Thursday (today) - Week 3

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Straight-arm work - 4x15

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Handstand - 5x15

A2 Archer Hold - 3x30

AlexX

Saturday

Warmup

A1 Handstand press - 3x5

A2 Front Lever Pulls - 3x5

Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - worked on keeping the shoulders retracted more during the whole movement.

Side/Back Kicks - 3x15 - black + red bands

AlexX

Sunday - 3x

External Rotations - 15 - red band

Internal Rotation - 15 - 2.5 lbs

Wrist Extensions - 15 - on knees

Wrist Extension weights - 15 - 12.5 lbs

Ulnar deviation - 15

Toe Raises/ Single Leg Calf Raises - 20

Monday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Straight-arm work - 4x15

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 Handstand - 5x30

A2 Car Push/pull - 3x

Joshua Naterman

Hey bud! How's that wrist coming along?

AlexX
slizzardman said:
Hey bud! How's that wrist coming along?

Surprisingly, extremely well. I still feel tightness in it and if I put pressure on it when I pronate it it'll hurt but for the most part I can do most of the exercises without discomfort or pain. Widearm handstands and parallel bar work is really the only thing that I can't do because of it. Multiple short and light stretching sessions throughout the day as well as ulnar deviation work and high rep wrist extension work is what has been really helping.

How is your own training coming along? We should get together for another training session.

AlexX

Week 4

Soft Tissue Work

Warmup

A1 Handstand press - 3x2 - Pike. Wanted to see where this was at and did 3 sets of 2 relatively easily (first set was no prob last set I had to strain). My first consistent B in strength moves although I am still not sure how this is a B when a legs together planche is also a B.

A2 Front Lever Pulls - 3x5 - Single Leg.

Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - Noticed that while I can keep my shoulder back when starting at the bottom or just holding the static, lowering down into it throws the whole thing off because I can't keep my shoulders all the way back at the top and I can't retract them as I am lowering down either. Might switch to just the concentrics or do just the holds to avoid building bad habits.

Archer hold - 3x30

*Handstand work has been coming along well also. Since my wrist is feeling better I started experimenting with leaning more on one arm in the handstand, holding for a few seconds and switching hands. On a good day I am able to accomplish this with just the fingertips on the support arm. I am pretty impressed with this since I haven't been concentrating on handstand balancing work much.

AlexX

Decided to do an extra prehab day.

3x

Internal Rotations - 15 - Red Band - used a towel to support the arm at side and it felt much better.

External Rotations - 15 - Red Band - same deal with the towel.

Wrist Extensions - 8 - 20 lbs. - only dumbbell I own.

Wrist levers - 15

Toe Raises - 15 - 45 lbs.

Calf Raises - 15 - 45 lbs.

Stretching - skipped 2 weeks of stretch but I was pleasantly surprised that nothing has changed.

AlexX

Soft Tissue Work - 10 minutes

Warmup

Straight-arm work - 4x20

qHPybmFkJtY

Front Lever - 12x5 - statics - Half Lay

A1 One Arm Handstand Leans - 5x5 - each arm.

YG3x1Ze5Q4s

A2 Side/Back Kicks - 3x15 - Red Band

AlexX

Small set-back with wrists (both this time). Pain on ulnar side of the wrist on both them. It doesn't seem like one single thing caused the aches but my sudden increase of volume on wrist work (lever bar work, one arm hstd leans and higher volume wrist pushups). The OAH isn't as important to me as some other skills (wide arm handstand is next on my list) so for now I'll retire it as well as remove lever bar and wrist pushups (they aggravate the injury). To let the injury rest I'll also remove hstd press work, been doing it a long time anyway I don't think that a 4 week break is going to be a huge set back.

I also bought some finger extensors bands from iron mind for wrist prehab.

Warn-up

Maltese block presses - 3x3 - I am a longgg way off from a maltese haha. Not my first choice of an exercise but wasn't sure what else to place here.

Front Lever Pulls - 3x5

Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5 - This is pretty easy now, I am going to be excited to increase the range of motion for the next cycle - still can't get my shoulders to roll all the way back but I suppose that's ok.

Car Pulls - 3x2 trips.

AlexX

Wednesday

3x

Internal Rotations - 15 - RB

External Rotation - 15 - RB

Reverse Wrist Curls - 15 - Red+Orange

Finger Extensors - 15 - Green Band - This Iron Mind product is pretty awesome comes in a package of 5 different bands (each progressionally harder) and in sets of two.

Toe raises - 20 - 45 lbs.

Calf Raises - 20 - 45 lbs.

*I noticed that when I stand my shoulders have been rotating internally slightly. Not sure if it's because of more pressing work or because of the band internal rotations. Could they even make such a noticeable difference?

Saturday

Soft Tissue Work - 10 mins

Warm-up

Straight arm work - 5x15 - did this with hands on pushup bars instead of floor. This accomplished two things, raised my shoulders even with my hips and took the little amount of pressure that was on my wrists. As a side note I tried to lean into a maltese on rings and was actually able to do a slight lean (As oppose to just a free fall down).

Front Lever - 12x5 - half lay

Archer hold - 3x30

*Everything is getting noticeably easier, I didn't even have to struggle too much on the last set of the front levers. Still amazed at the huge difference between the half lay and the full lay.

AlexX

Warm-up

Maltese Block Presses - 3x3

Front Lever pulls - 3x5 - one leg

Iron Cross Pulls - 3x5

Car Pulls - 3x2

AlexX

External Rotations - 3x15 - RB

Abducted External Rotations - 3x6 - 15 lbs.

Reverse wrist curls - 3x8 - 45 lbs.

Finger Extension - 3x15 - Yellow band

Calf Raises - 3x30 second holds