This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Log of FIN

Started by Larry Roseman, April 23, 2011 · 6 Replies · 955 Views

Larry Roseman

Hey guys and gals(?) !

Have finally got my Xtreme rings installed in the garage. It's not a great workout garage, it's unheated and dusty, but now that it's warming up a bit it's good enough to start using the rings.

Started getting excited about GB a few months ago. Became somewhat familar with the basics and particpated in a nearby weekly adult gymnastic class for about a month. It showed me that clearly I was not ready to be performing any real gymnastic moves. Otherwise, it was enjoyable and didn't hurt (except my ego). But I can see that more strength is clearly needed, as a base.

After that, lots more is needed too. But ...

Currently my goal is to perform 1-2 full body workouts per week, of which GB is a part.

I'll keep track of details locally in an excel spreadsheet and update here occassionally with

the big picture stuff.

Today I performed the first one. WHat impressed, or perhaps distressed me, was the degree of difficulty XR pushups, dips and pull-ups have compared to their standard static bar counterparts. At best I could do half as many on the rings as on the fixed bars, less in the case of dips. On the plus side, there is much room for improvement!

So after doing some shoulder pre-hab I did 2 sets of 5 consisting of:

pull-ups

dips (assisted)

negative dips

upside-down rows

XR pushups

MU transition work

15 second ring support

30 second ring hang (1/set only)

Also what was somewhat distressing was the hand pain associated with the XR rings.

The wood rings at the club seemed a bit easier on the hands. Perhaps they had a bit

larger inner diameter but I'm not sure. Hopefully this will pass.

My first goals are to be able to do more of all of the above, plus able to perform

the muscle up and l-sit on the rings for 30 seconds. After that I'll think about a more

well rounded GB routine and eventually move into the WODs.

Besides GB I am training for a 5K (3x week run / efx) and playing tennis (1-2x week) and

taking a Pilates class (1x week). Plus doing additional core, arms (and leg work) in the gym

as part of my full body workout because can't get enough volume through the rings alone yet.

I take 2 days per week for rest or recovery.

Good luck in your goals. I will try this for a month and see how this goes.

Cheers!

Larry Roseman

Was wondering what you guys think about this as a basic upper body strength and conditioning program using the rings, in lieu of weights.

1. Warm-up - break sweat -- worked in the yard today :) Could be jump rope, jogging, etc. 15-20 mins

2. Shoulder mobility stuff - 5 mins

3. Ring work 30-40 mins per set - not necces. in this order

a. 30 second ring hang chin grip x 2 subsets (total 1 min)

b. 5 XR pushups x 2 subsets (total 10)

c. 30 sec ring support x 2 subsets (total 1 min)

d. 5 MU transition work (assisted)

e. 5 XR pullups x 2 subsets (total 10)

f. 5 XR revese pushups (rows) x 2 subsets (total 10)

g. 5 dips (assisted)

h. 20 sec L-sit x 3 subsets (total 1 min)

Repeat once, or twice if get fast and strong

Also played with using the rings as an ab wheel kind of. Starts standing ends up in a pushup like position

with the arms extended. Know what I mean? Is this a legit (named) exercisse with the rings?

I couldn't really do it, but it was killer.

It took a fair amount of time, but seemed easier during the second set. The ring adjustments

do take time to get right. Will try a tape measure next time. Any hints?

Perhaps can add in handstand work at some point. Just not yet.

Thanks!

swarovski

that exercise is call rings jacknife pushups, archer pushups and flies are very cool as well.

the exf rings I own have measured webbing, have a look:

http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.html

you may try to mark your webbings that way.

Larry Roseman

What's new?

Have been focusing on dieting for about 7 weeks. Gave the IF leangains approach a shot after reading much positive feedback here and on other boards.

It was pretty solid. Only worked out 1 every 4 days, and alternated between weights and GB.

However, due to various factors ended up doing less GB and more weights, mainly because of the

time factor. Ended up eating approximately in the "zone" style - 40% carbs/30% protein and fat.

Unfortunately though about 10 days agoI went and injured my left hip.

Never hurt so bad. Hardly could walk. The chriro told me it was muscular, and I almost couldn't

believe it - thought it was much more serious. But she was right and after a week with modest

treatment it felt better. Thought I had leeched too much calcium out of my bones or something like that!

It ended the diet prematurely for recovery, so I probably ultimately lost 5-6 pounds of fat.

Not a lot in the big picture but better than nothing, and should be at 15% bf.

Have been eating normally for a week and looking foward get getting back more into

my regular sports routine now that I've healed.

-- Tennis 2x week (singles for an hour)

-- Run 1x week (2-4 miles)

-- GB 1-2x week or weights depending on time

-- Adult Gymnastics class 1x - or maybe pilates

(I just don't think it's going to all happen though, consistently anyway)

I'm curious if the 5 pounds fat loss will improve anything.

I was hoping that it would reduce injuries, but of course

the first thing that happened was injury. So I'm a bit sceptical.

I know that I should really be doing the WOD instead of stupid stuff

like ring pushups, dips, etc. I can do 20 ring dips, albeit in

sets of 5. and the same with pull-ups and pushups (bigger sets though). No MU though.

Is that enough basic strength to start the WOD he wonders? :)

Does it pay to do 1x week?

Larry Roseman

Ran today, felt great. Dogsitting this weekend, she wanted to go out.

She is about 10" high with stubby feet, half chiuauaua and half something else, maybe poodle.

This little pup took me around the block as fast as I could run, for a quarter mile!

I couldn't believe how fast she could run.

We did that 4 times, then I left her inside, because I didn't want to run that fast!

Then I took an run alone for 2 easy miles.

No rings today. Just getting back into the swing of more substantial activity.

Feels good.

Larry Roseman

Good news :)

Am starting to feel it!

Although I'm just practicing just 1-2x week, have been pretty diligent lately.

Did a few decent muscle ups, with a jump up. Held a headstand for 5 seconds.

Didn't know what they were at the time, but spontaneously did the full range of yewkies. They just happened

at the gym, like suddenly by body knew to try something it could do, it was ready to do.

It's a bit like discovering a hidden appendage I never knew was there. or could be.

Going to start working on the ring strength 1 progression, as I can do most of the individual moves

to some degree.

Awesome. Feel like it's starting to come together!