This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scaling down HS WOD cycles.

Started by Blairbob, April 22, 2011 · 3 Replies · 70 Views

Blairbob

This is not really a question for myself but just pondering on some thoughts for my gymnasts.

I've been thinking I could substitute PB support or even pushup/straight arm plank support if need be. Perhaps for some of my beginning developmental gymnasts unable to hold the HS position with proper form or weakness in shoulder, elbow, or wrist.

I'm thinking the PB support may actually be easier than plank support. Or maybe it could just be something to alternate instead of wall HS. Of course, I could change angle of HS but the ability to keep their arms straight and locked out is crucial for straight arm work on bars and press HS.

Thoughts?

Cole Dano

I see where you are going with this.

Its a sound idea, the supports are sort of a pre-req for HS.

Are you hitting the support holds elsewhere?

If so, and you want to get the student in HS position, what about L-HS with legs on a box? I start a lot of people this way, well actually just using a wall, but a box would be better still.

Michael Traynor

This is interesting I find that the little ones I coach perhaps 90% of those that can't HS lack core and body line strength while the onther 10% have a weakness in shoulder, elbow, wrist.

As such we have our little ones working hollow holds on the floor as you would expect as well as other basic positions. as far as straight arm work we find that cartwheels build in good amounts, and having them hold front and back support and wall HS and Box HS, we do struggle to do other introductory straight arm work as we meet in a school without equipment like PBars.

Blairbob

The girls hit a random amount of support holds training HS during Balance Beam event and FX/Tumbling time besides during Uneven Bars.

Right now, I get maybe 15-30m/day to do any other conditioning. Schedule is out of my hands right now, so I can take what I can get and make the most out of it. They are in 3d/week, 3-4hours/day.

When I was coaching boys, I ran a much different program with more time on physical prep ala Coach Sommer&GB. Lots of basics and strength and physical prep, maybe up to 35-50% of their training time.

So right now, I'm using circuits and starting to implement Wall HS/support cycles. However, you'll notice 30on45off and 12 cycles takes 15m. We're starting off with 5-7 right now.

Problem about doing HS is many do not push through shoulder and their wrists and elbows are weak. Most would be too weak or unstable in the plank positions because of core strength/control. Focusing on PB support would allow to focus on straight arm elbow and shoulder strength.

I'm thinking about rotating between these or assigning the girls, PB or Wall HS, depending. Generally, we ideally would do cycles of plank supports and hollow/arch for time/rocks as well.