Tips on front uprise in PB

Started by Daniel Jorgensen, April 20, 2011 · 10 Replies · 5,401 Views

Daniel Jorgensen

I'm currently struggling with the front uprise in the parallel bar.

When I swing forward in the "russian support" I try to press down with elbows and hands as my body swing upwards, but no matter what, my arms/upperbody just seem very freckin heavy and doesn't lift of a tiny bit :(

Anyone have any tips on the execution?

acegerter

I would recommend spending some time (every PB workout) perfecting the swing through the bottom of upper arm support. Anytime your doing a swing, your body should go through the progression: hollow - open - hollow (tap). Once you can smoothly swing 5-10 times through the bottom, the front uprise should be easy. Try to hollow above the bar in the back, and in the front your feet should go forward and away from your chest/shoulders.

A teammate of mine was trying to work front uprise stutz HS yesterday. I noticed that he couldn't swing in upper arm support, so I suggested he take a couple turns refining that... 30min later he was able to do front uprise diam with a light spot. Granted he is a talented freak of nature (6th on SR at NCAA this year as a freshman), fine tuning the basic hollow - open - tap movement will make a huge difference downstream (on ANY swinging event).

Let me know if this helped!

Cole Dano

Not trying to steal the thread here, but in general does the same go for the back swing? In other words say doing a simple high bar swing, hollow at the top, arch tap, and hollow again at the back of the swing? Is the only 'pump' or tap at the bottom?

acegerter

Do you mean when you swing back from the extended forward position?

Cole Dano

yes, sorry if it wasn't clear.

AlexX

Could you record a video? it could be a whole number of things.

acegerter

I would say just try to keep your body taught so that no slack forms. This way you'll be able to reset into the hollow position fairly well... Although, I haven't really put too much thought into this part of the swing :-\

Daniel Jorgensen

Thanks for the advices!

@Blairbob: Hm, If i try to follow the skillsndrills method, I don't feel i'm capable of pushing at all. If I try to push it becomes more like a russian dips with a kip and very little swinging.

@Acegerter: Sure! My upper arm swing is inproper and it still hurts like hell :cry: (still new to it and bw is 80 kg.) Haven't recorded myself, but I believe I stay in arch at the back swing (will work on hollow here). But what do I do in the front swing - any kind of kipping or explosive tapping?

acegerter

hollow - open - hollow/kick to hollow

that is the magic recipe to any sort of swinging skill

workinprogress

Let me resume this old thread and show you me doing a front uprise. I fear my main problem is related to shoulder flexibility (which I'm working on a little bit) but there maybe something more. You guys may give me some good hints to go a little more forward with the shoulders and higher with my hips. Maybe sooner or later I'll be able to shoot a double front off of a front uprise and put it in my routine...! For now I can only do it from regular swing and that's kind of useless at the moment.

Thanks everybody

hM3W2m6MDX8