Hello all. Very recently I took a friend of mine to open gym with me for the first time. He had a blast using all of the equipment there, and got to overcome some fear by trying back tucks for the first time into the foam pit (I got to do the same for double fronts and aerial fronts
). One of his physical claim-to-fames is the fact that he can do full front and side splits, something he's had for years due to martial arts training. What struck me though, was seeing just how much that carried over to gymnastic skills. For example, I was teaching some other guys there progressions to an aerial cartwheel, starting with perfecting their basic cartwheel. I looked over to see my friend doing cartwheels with them and his simply looked phenomenal, much better than mine IMO. I realized soon enough just how much of a role splits play into dynamic movements like that - as usual there's always a difference between understanding something and experiencing it. But it doesn't end there: Later in the night I was showing those same guys a straddle L-sit on p-bars, something I can't do quite as well relative to my aerial. My same friend, who I'm certain had never tried a straddle L in his life, soon gave it a go and nailed it, form and all, and even held it for about 10-15 seconds. This showed me that, for the best results in these kinds of moves, splits must be a necessity.
So, wordy back story aside, I wanted to ask for opinions on the optimal way to develop both front splits and the full side splits (or as I call them, the "Van-Damme Splits"). My friend said he developed them primarily through passive stretching, to the point where he'd watch TV in a splits position for two hours or so. I've also read and own Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretch book, which advocates PNF stretching as the surefire way to move things along. I'm also wondering how active and dynamic stretching would play a role in this progression, since I have every intention of strengthening my legs once I can split them. I'm not too far off from splits really, but I tend to lose them for one reason or another (interest lost, injury, etc). So then, if anyone can offer a good progression for everything I've outlined, I would greatly appreciate it.
And again, I'm sorry that every topic I post is so wordy. I like to write. ![]()
Thanks again!