My sternum hurts whenever I breath in hard, expand my rib and some other movements that involve the sternum. Sometimes my sternum hurts when I do dips. I haven't done this exercise for several months. I'm trying to figure out the reasons and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. Is it because I do dips? How can I cure it?
My sternum hurts
Started by befunctional, August 5, 2008 · 3 Replies · 3,382 Views
ive had to put dips on the backburner too at the moment due to this injury. it feels like its on the sternum bone itself doesnt it? i first got this injury when i began dipping but it wore off after a few weeks. i reinjured it though 2 weeks ago during a weighted dip session where i jerked ackwardly while dipping. still waiting on it to heal.
for you i say just lay off dips for a week and hopefully you will adapt to it.
Too deep, too fast, too heavy - do any of these sound familiar? Sternum pain from dips is simply the result of attempting to train beyond your current abilities; whether that may be from a perspective of range of motion or strength will vary from person to person. Stop the dips immediately. Allow yourself to heal and then begin again; but this time with a more gradual approach.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks coach!