muscle up video

Started by Edward Smith, August 5, 2008 · 11 Replies · 3,285 Views

Edward Smith

hi everyone,

a while ago a posted in my workout log that I got my first muscle up. I just want to say thanks to Coach Sommer for his simple guide on muscle ups and everyone else on the forum for inspiring me to do better. So here's a video which I hope will inspire you to keep going. Please crtique my muscle up, the back lever wasn't my best I was mainly doing it just to see what angle I could do it at and I can hold a horizontal one (full back lever) for about 2 seconds so I'm pretty happy as I've never really trained specifically except with 360 pulls (with a 3-5 second static in them) and ring series.

Yours on Rongs,

Ed

Gregor

quite good muscle up.For Better one maintain straight body position (squeeze your ass and abdominals-at all time). About back lever, acutally you didn't put your energy as much as you could...Motivation problem.

Edward Smith

Thanks Gregor. My muscle up is coming nicely (at least I think so), I pike my hips in the dead hang simply because of the height (i touch the ground completely straight) but yes I can improve it still but I think this is just a case of time. I was a bit tired for the back lever, I'm just gonna keep going with it.

Ed

Gregor

Yea I saw, that rings are to low, but I talk about when you where moving up (exactly in the midlle of musle up).

Other thing is about the lenght of the straps. Longer the straps are, the more difficult is.

Coach Sommer

Nicely done, Ed. Keep up the good work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Edward Smith

Thanks Coach

Blairbob

Nice, Ed. Form looks pretty good and it's just a matter of wanting to hold it.

Edward Smith

I was just wondering (maybe I should post this somewhere) else but oww well. I am to about 3muscle ups, first one as seen second slightly less strict and the third one kipped (I could probably do 4 or 5 kipped muscle ups), is that enough to work them or should I stay with pull ups (reaching transition) and dips (same)? With dips and pull ups I also do a couple muscle ups after them and if I do a ring series.

Secondly what are some variations/progressions?

Cheers,

Ed

Blairbob

Do you remember seeing the video of muscle up to support, forward roll regrasping into another muscle up to support?

Edward Smith

Yes, the basic ring series 2.

Blairbob

Another interesting skill is muscle-up to back lever. This can also be done as pullup to back lever. Careful on your elbows. Definitely reccomend a band or a spotter.

Some people do weighted MU, but be careful on your elbows as I've heard of people getting real sore elbows to the point of thinking tendonitis is setting in.

Another skill is backward roll/pullover to support. Similar to how it's done on a high bar,cept it's not a bar.

Edward Smith

Thanks again to everyone for their kind comments. I was just wondering how do you think my transition is, speed/control wise?

Thanks,

Ed