Planche Premature?

Started by StevenL, August 5, 2008 · 2 Replies · 3,056 Views

StevenL

Does it really make sense to train for the planche if one does not have the strength yet to do, say, a straddle press or pike press handstand with straight arms? Should one build the basic necessary strength to begin training for the planche and then start training it? There is really so much I don't understand about the whole process. I wish I had a coach.

kbryk

Well if you train the tuck planche that will help you build the strength for many skills such as the pike press handstand, now I agree with you if the person cannot do push ups or handstand push ups, of course I would begin there, then build to the frog stand etc..

But yes I've seen some people jump straight to training for the planche but they cannot even do a few consecutive push ups.

The way many train here is different than an actual gymnastics coach would train, they make you bust your but on strength moves, then make you hop onto the events and practice your skills.

When I was in gymnastics we did not train a specific skill, we were time efficient, we would work stretching/warm up, push ups, basic core, handstands/push ups, press handstands, dips all in 45 minutes, and after about 3 weeks or so the new kids were popping up into handstands, some were even completing pretty good straddle press handstands.

Coach Sommer

I incorporate static strength training and fundamental bodyweight exercises into the preparation of my new athletes from day one. Steven is of course correct however that it needs to be approached progressively. For example, if you cannot hold yourself up in an L-sit, there is little point in spending time working on a tuck planche.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer