Neck training

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, April 13, 2011 · 6 Replies · 3,507 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

I always notice that powerlifters usually have fairly thick and strong looking necks while most of the gymnasts I've seen haven't. I could be wrong, of course.

As a martial artist, I consider a strong neck to be very important. Can anyone here direct me to some great info about strengthening your neck and neck area muscles? Traps and upper back also protect the neck, I think, but I think farmers walks, pull ups/chin ups, and all the handstand work I do should be good enough for upper back development (right?).

Thanks!

Alexander Moreen

For combat sports, I can't think of a better neck conditioning program than standard greco-roman wrestling. I'm sure youtube is full of drills but some basics are at http://www.livestrong.com/article/123941-neck-exercises-wrestling/. Specifically the front and back bridges are amazing in terms of bang for your buck. I like to add twisting headstands against a wall, eventually progressing to no hands to help support.

Quick Start Test Smith

Thank, guys!

dnj23

You can get a good neck harness at ironmind for weighted movements. You can do front and back bridges for static holds. You can do them weighted when you get better.

Quick Start Test Smith

Yeah! I put together a mini workout finisher with grip, wrist, neck, calf, and trap work. I'm going to do a lot of what Mike the Machine is talking about.

And since I can't afford a neck harness right now, I'll make my own with some thick double layered green interlaced coil and some bolts and a chain.

Thanks!