This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Aurelio's training log

Started by Aurelio Paras, April 10, 2011 · 14 Replies · 1,176 Views

Aurelio Paras

Age: 18

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 270 lbs

Sports Background: One year gymnastics (Men's levels 1-4)..........TaeKwonDo Two years

Goals: Test my absolute limit.

Doing a 4-day SSC (Fri, Sat, Mon, Tuesday)

Warm up: (Before strength days only)

-10 Minute Jog

-Finger twist (15 twists each finger)

-Wrist stretch (On all fours with fingers pointing behind me then leaning.

-2x5 finger pushups

-3x10sec pushup holds using wrists

-1x10 wall extensions

-1x15 towel revolutions (grab the ends of a towel with both hands and rotate your arms behind you)

-1x5 Headstands

-2x5 wall walks (stand about 3ft in front of a wall and "walk down" until you are in a bridge then walk back up)

-1x20sec bridge hold

-1x5 bridge pushups

-3x10sec handstand holds (against wall)

-2x5sec bent arm frogs.

Monday:=====================================================================

FSP:

Advanced Frog (3x20sec)

PB L-sit tuck (4x15sec)

FBE:

HS Wall Runs (3x20sec)

Pullup negatives (3x4===5sec descend)

Bulgarian rows on rings (3x4)

Ring support holds (3x20sec)

Core:

V-ups

Saxon Side Bends w/ 25lb plate (3x6-8)

Hanging Leg Raise-Half

Cardio:

Two-mile jog

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

Casual 10-minute full-body stretch.

Tuesday:==============================================================

FSP:

Advanced Frog (3x20sec)

PB L-sit tuck (4x15sec)

FBE:

Ring support Holds (3x20 sec)

Pullup negatives (3x4===5sec descend)

Bulgarian rows on rings (3x4)

Core:

V-ups

Hanging Leg Raise-Half

Cardio:

Two-mile jog

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

Casual 10-minute full-body stretch.

Intense Stretch

Wednesday:====================================================================

[No strength Training]

Core:

v-ups

Saxon side bend /w 25lb plate (3x6-8)

Hanging Leg Raise-HLL

Cardio:

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

15-minute HIIT Jump Rope session (30 sec sprints/60sec rest period) X10 sets

50 Meter Hills sprints 5 sprints w/ 3 minute rest sessions in between.

Casual Stretch

Thursday:================================================================================

[No strength Training]

Core:

v-ups

Cardio:

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

50 Meter Hills sprints 5 sprints w/ 3 minute rest sessions in between.

casual stretch

Friday: ===================================================================================

FSP:

Advanced Frog (3x20sec)

PB L-sit tuck (4x15sec)

FBE:

Ring support Holds (3x20 sec)

HS wall runs (3x20 sec)

Bulgarian rows on rings (3x4)

Inverted Hang on rings (4x20sec)

Core:

v-ups

Hanging leg lift-HLL

Saxon side bends w/25lb plate (3x6-8)

Cardio:

One-mile run

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

casual stretch

Saturday:===========================================================================

FSP:

Advanced Frog (3x20sec)

PB L-sit tuck (4x15sec)

FBE:

Ring support Holds (3x20 sec)

HeSPU negatives (3x3-5) 8-second descends

Bulgarian rows on rings (3x4)

Inverted Hang on rings (4x20sec)

Core:

v-ups

Hanging leg lift-HLL

Cardio:

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

casual stretch

Sunday:=====================================================================================

[No Strength Training]

[No abdominal Training]

Cardio:

Two-mile run

15-minute jump rope session practicing technique

HIIT Jump rope session 30sec sprints/60sec rests X10 sets

50 Meter Hills sprints 5 sprints w/ 3 minute rest sessions in between.

Casual Stretch

Intense stretch

**Notes**

-Unless there is an urgent training imbalance, I'm gonna try this out for two weeks and determine whether this is sustainable.

-I already have an imbalance in my push/pull strength. When I did gymnastics five years ago, My training was 99.9% pushing. I rarely ever did any pulling movements.

-Will be doing a lot of modifying to prevent my body from adapting to a certain routine

-Strict Paleo diet except for some dairy here-and-there.

-meh, a couple exercises in wrong categories.....

**Post workout nutrition**

-1 garlic capsule

-3 cups of Ginger tea

-500mg Bromelain Complex

-2 bottles of water

Aurelio Paras

whoops! Forgot to smile!

:mrgreen:

Aurelio Paras

Well, today's training went pretty well!

**Notes**

The negative HeSPU was the last thing I did, but they seemed pretty sloppy. I think I will do one of three things:

1) Do them right after the statics

2) Do them later on in the day

3) Include some kind of rest intermission between the FBE's and FSP's.

I will try the first option first.......

Aurelio Paras

Ah!

It seems I got too carried away with the ring support holds. Even though I have a pretty thorough warm-up, I have put too much strain on the area of the chest right above the right "boob". It seems to be sensitive towards neck movements at times. Not painful though.

I think I may have made a too drastic wrist position change during the support. I started off without the 45 degree angle then quickly tried to adjust to it.

I think it would be best to do a "ring warmup" prior to any strength training on the rings. I will now do the following before working on supports:

2x10 pushups on the rings.

1x8 jumping dips with 2 second supports

2x5 regular body rows

If my problems still persist after this, I will eliminate pressing ring training until I lose about 10-20 pounds.

Two more things

---I didn't sleep well last night...usually I can fall asleep by 10:30, but I didn't until around 4:00 in the morning.

---My anti-inflammatory combination seems to be very effective. The stress on my chest is rapidly healing.

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Cyberhat. Keep it up! 8)

Aurelio Paras

Hi, Progress report!

My right chest muscle is about 95% healed....There isn't any pain now, just some mild soreness when I turn my body. I went ahead and followed my normal routine.

My pre-ring warm-up was a success! I think what especially helped me was the jumps on the rings with 2sec support holds. When you're heavy like me, it's a good idea to do a warm-up move similar to what you're about train with. It gives your body some warning of the impending stress it will undergo. Just as a sprinter wouldn't sprint without proper preparation, I wouldn't try performing a strenuous maneuver (with respect to my current level of strength) without proper procedure.

Between sets, I would adjust my shoulders by doing towel stretch revolutions until my rest period was over. It seems the ring support holds were a lot easier than they were two days ago. So far so good!

I'm going to try doing all FBE handstand work around 1/2 hour after I finish the statics and the other FBE's. My handstand work seems a little sloppy otherwise and is probably adding little strength. . If this works, I'll gradually decrease the rest period between them accordingly.

The advanced frog work is going pretty well; I think I might be able to add another set soon. In two weeks, this should be doable.

The static tuck L-sit seems easier when I do a pike stretch beforehand. I still have to work on my form -- When I start to get fatigued, my legs will start to split apart from each other, therefore decreasing the tension in the exercise. It might be a better idea to retest my maximum with perfect form and divide that number in half to determine my work period. A more realistic template is probably : 6x10sec

Aurelio Paras

thx Pat :mrgreen:

Aurelio Paras

Hello! :D

Well, unfortunately I'll have to skip my upper body strength training for today :(

Before strength workouts, I like to test my body condition according to how soon fatigue creeps up on me while holding a handstand against a wall. Normally, I can hold a handstand for a little over a minute; today I held it for only 32 seconds (I could have gone to 38 but I didn't wanna compromise my recovery process too much)

Holding it for 20 seconds felt like I already held it for 45 seconds on a good day. Even though this is the last day until my two-day break, I will skip the training for today!

This will give me a chance to work exclusively on core and leg work :mrgreen:

I'm not really surprised by my fatigue....The last five days has been the first time I ever trained with such a comprehensive, strength-oriented program. And even when I did gymnastics four years ago, it was hardly taxing as it is now. I might have to deal with a 3-day/week schedule for a month or two.

I can take the next three days to work on High intensity cardio exercises....Weight loss + Fully Recovered body= Better performance :mrgreen:

Aurelio Paras

Well, this was an interesting day!

I started training with back lever work.....It's sure difficult when the hands are palm down. I'm trying to work on not using my triceps to rest on my lats....but I may have to get stronger before I can do this w/o the assistance.

I did a little test with the L-sit today. When I began a couple weeks ago, I could only do a tuck l-sit on pb for 20 seconds. Now I can do 15 seconds with low l-sit on pb. Cooleo :D

Aurelio Paras

Wah!!!!!

About two weeks is up for my trial period.....

I'm thinkin' my recovery would be better if I did my HIIT and Strength training on the same days. Do one in the morning then one in the evening.

FSP's:

Advanced frog planche: 2x30 seconds

Low L-sit pb : 9x7seconds

Tuck BL : 6x10seconds

tuck FL : 4x15 seconds

Primary FBE's

Negative Pullups

Handstand negatives

Handstand Wall Runs

Ring Dips

Bulgarian rows

[Will do a lot of alternating]

Lower back:

Headstand to pike press with 5lb weight.

Core:

HLL Half

Kneeling Ab Wheel

v-ups

Body Lever negatives

Aurelio Paras

Ah! Starting experimenting with HS Press work...

well, obviously I couldn't do them, hehe.

I started by trying handstand wall presses with hands 12 inches from wall and back shoulders leaning on the wall. Couldn't quite do those.

So I tried raising the elevation of my feet with some boxes so I could practice partial ROM's. lol. Even at 3 ft, didn't work out too well.

But considering I can do only two headstand pike presses, this wasn't too shocking for me.

I'm gonna start doing weighted headstand pike presses along with my normal routine. I'll attempt the elevated HS wall presses in a couple of weeks.

I wonder if flexibility was a major issue though? When I got into the wall press HS starting position, it didn't feel like my hips were directly over my shoulders. I can't even touch my toes in a pike stretch.

We shall see!

Aurelio Paras

Weighing in at 268...

I got my first pullup :mrgreen:

I can do about 1.5 pullups now :D

Ah, my ego was shattered! I did some searching on the forums to find proper HeSPU form...It appears my hands were placed too far apart :( In addition, my elbows are supposed to be parallel to the floor. In doing so, I exclude the recruitment of the traps muscles.

I was able to do 1 HeSPU with wide shoulders with elbows flaring out. Now I can only do 1/3 ROM. hahaha.

Gymnastics is sure exciting :D

Aurelio Paras

Woot! Even if it's for only 1.5-2 seconds, I can finally hold a tuck planche!

Aurelio Paras

oh yeah!! 2.5 strict form pullups!

Aurelio Paras

Cooleo!

After training tuck planche holds for a few days, I found myself being able to go down 1.5 inches farther than I used to on the HeSPU. So instead of being able to go down only five inches, I can now do 6.5 inches. Just 5.5 inches left to go! :mrgreen: