Muscle Up - after 8 weeks of GB work

Started by Falcon, April 9, 2011 · 11 Replies · 3,156 Views

Falcon

MUs after 8 weeks of training, I think this is a good result, I didn't do any ring work in the past.

I still can't do them in my workouts, that's too much for me...

These are from deadhang, but still a little bit kipped, it's because I still lack the strenght to do a strict pullup on rings.

7OEw2o35BI4

Alessandro Mainente

try to:

-minimize the swing movement-

-pull the rings to the sternum

-follow the Gb book progression for MU, if this variation is to difficult try another one

in mt case before pass to MU from dead hand i was able to do max 8-10 MU starting from dead hang but bent arm...

Blairbob

You can't do 1 ring pullup? What?!

Joshua Naterman
Blairbob said:
You can't do 1 ring pullup? What?!

:shock:

Falcon

I meant strict pullup, in my workouts, I'm doing 3x5 XR pullups, but all of them are kipped, right now, when I'm not tired nor after my workout, I can do one, or two absolutely strict pullups, no leg movement, just a pull... however I have to pull like crazy to get trough the first half of that pullup... I don't know if this is usual for a begginer like me... but my dips are pretty solid (8x5, full ROM, PB).

Maybe I should try to minimize the kipping in my workouts and focus on absolutely strict pullups?

pogo69

yes, you should. work on full ROM strict ring dips and full ROM strict ring pullups.

I would lay off the muscle ups until you can do at least 8-10 of each. the MU is very hard on the elbows and you're at high risk of injury if you don't have the joint strength to support it.

kbryk
pogo69 said:
yes, you should. work on full ROM strict ring dips and full ROM strict ring pullups.

I would lay off the muscle ups until you can do at least 8-10 of each. the MU is very hard on the elbows and you're at high risk of injury if you don't have the joint strength to support it.

I second that, and I advocate working false grip sternum pullups as well. I've seen lots of guys on the rings apparatus destroy their elbows messing around.

Alessandro Mainente

the best way to improve MU are weigthed stricth chinup, and pullup to the sternun and russian dip..for my experience..if you use a wide grip motion in pull up (the bar must touch the upper chest) you decrease the difficult for normal MU

in the russian dip you can start leaning your body forward...with the time decrease this thing, so for example where you are in supp position, slow down on your elbow maintaining your body at 90° respect to the floor (eliminate the leaning forward, and there is a very great stress in the region of triceps) and also reverse the movements...

the final russian dip must the same dip portion of andreas aguilar MU....

Joshua Naterman
Falcon said:
I meant strict pullup, in my workouts, I'm doing 3x5 XR pullups, but all of them are kipped, right now, when I'm not tired nor after my workout, I can do one, or two absolutely strict pullups, no leg movement, just a pull... however I have to pull like crazy to get trough the first half of that pullup... I don't know if this is usual for a begginer like me... but my dips are pretty solid (8x5, full ROM, PB).

Maybe I should try to minimize the kipping in my workouts and focus on absolutely strict pullups?

That's definitely normal, don't worry! Yes, you should minimize the kip. Focus on 5-10 sets of 1 good pull up with maybe 1-2 minutes between each pull up. That's pure max strength work. When you can do that with 1 minute of rest for at least 7 pull ups you should be able to do 2-3 good ones. I would expect 3. At that point I'd drop to 5 sets and do 2 reps for the first set and 1 for the rest. Every time that you feel it is too easy add a 2nd rep to the next set. So 2,1,1,1,1 and then when that's easy 2,2,1,1,1 and then when THAT's easy 2,2,2,1,1 and so on until you're doing 2,2,2,2,2. Then do the same thing again with 3. Focus on perfect form! If you are not at least 90% sure you can get that second pull up perfect don't do it.

When you get to 8-10 perfect pull ups it will be time to start adding weight.

You may want to consider doing different grips as well, so maybe 2 regular pull ups, 2 chin ups, 2 parallel grips, 2 more regular pull ups, and so on. I absolutely recommend this once you can do 5 pull ups for the work sets, but if your strength is radically different (like doing 7 perfect chin ups but only 2 pull ups and 3 parallel grip pull ups) then your strength work should focus on what you are most weak on.

Ryan Verma

Slizzard, do you think I could use that same strategy effectively for increasing my number of consecutive muscle ups as well?

Sorry for hijacking the thread :D

Joshua Naterman

Yes, to some degree. That would work better for kipping muscle ups than strict ones. For strict muscle ups you have to build strength and endurance in the transition itself. I highly recommend doing a lot of singles and doubles there in the beginning once you can do a proper transition. When you realize that you can do more than that easily bump it up, but don't go over 70% of your rep max. If you can do 5, do sets of 3. If you can do 7, do sets of 5. If you can do 10, do sets of 6 or 7. It may seem strange to do this work separately from the whole motion but you should be doing pull ups and dips anyways. The transition work is where you need to build yourself up, so concentrate there. All the pull up and dip part of the MU do is make you tired and add more recovery, so if you're already doing pull up and dip work regularly then you need to concentrate on what you are NOT doing so much of, which is specific transition work.

Falcon

Thanks slizzardman! You've helped me a lot right now!!! I'll add 1x10 pullups to my workouts, and work them with regular grip and false grip (I don't have a bar yet)

Also, it's good to know that it's normal for begginers :D I was afraid that I'm focusing too much on pressing.