Abdominal Strength

Started by Asclepius, April 6, 2011 · 9 Replies · 3,336 Views

Asclepius

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this video:

My question is: How did that guy get abs like that??? I didn't even know that abs were formed like that (where his have a shape where they actually form like a crease that comes OUT along the center line, if you see what I mea).

Does that happen to everybody?

Samuel Carr

Yes. At least as long as you have a good diet, abs will eventually look like that under strain

Joshua Naterman

Diet plus specific work to make the rectus abdominus grow bigger. Inverted sit ups, heavy weighted decline sit ups, weighted (eventually) HLL, etc.

Hannibal isn't even all that lean, maybe 8-9% at best. That's awesome, and quite honestly much more manageable than the 6-7% that some people seem to think is ideal. He just has excellent overall muscular development, and it shows.

Nic Scheelings

Not all that lean???

I guess it really depends on how u take those percentages which I feel can be taken with a bit of a grain of salt, but he's clearly dam lean. Skinfolds would be real low, comparable to most gymnasts I reckon.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, I would assume so. I just mean that 9%, while lean, isn't outrageous. You don't need an insane diet to get there, just either a reasonable one or an ok one (with good genetics for leanness). He's not as lean as Hitman, for example, who is pretty restrictive with his diet.

Asclepius
slizzardman said:
Diet plus specific work to make the rectus abdominus grow bigger. Inverted sit ups, heavy weighted decline sit ups, weighted (eventually) HLL, etc.

What's an inverted sit up?

Joshua Naterman

Inverted sit up is when you're hanging upside down by your legs and you are doing sit ups. At my strongest I was doing 75 lbs for 12-15 reps. They are hard.

That was when I started body lever work, because I figured that continuing to add weight was more risk than reward at that point, seeing as how I was chaining an adjustable bench to a smith machine on a rocking ship 30-50 feet from the bow.

Aaron Griffin
slizzardman said:
I was chaining an adjustable bench to a smith machine on a rocking ship 30-50 feet from the bow.

WITCHCRAFT!

Asclepius

How are you able to hang your legs safely? Do you just hook them, or do you use some sort of hook shoe things?

Joshua Naterman

I currently use the top of a smith machine, but on the ship the bench had a place to hook my feet under.

The smith machine does too, but it's not as comfortable.