I recently, on Monday, had a back spasm while walking to school.
Here are some of the details surrounding the incident:
- Saturday had a rugby match (no serious pain afterwards)
- Sunday spent half the day sitting down doing schoolwork
- Monday morning did HS WOD (HS press work was very strenuous on the back, i.e I'm very weak at them)
- Walked to school, had a pretty light bag, was running a little late so I went to jog and on the first step I landed my back seized up
I've rested it for the past week (Mon-Wed just lying down at home and taken it easy since then), taken anti-inflammatories (fish-oil) and visited the physio. He told me a muscle spasm, one particular muscle spasmed then the rest of the back shut down to protect itself, he suggested stretching out hip flexors (short) and some exercises to add a bit of hip stability. Since I'm in my final year at school I'm sitting down a lot (approx six hours at school, plus study time) so short hip flexors makes sense. Along with that I'm doing some foam rolling.
Just wanted to get some second opinions on it and any other advice or suggestions for getting back into training (i.e precautions, specific pre/re-hab ).
Ed