RLL Form Question

Started by Michael Traynor, April 2, 2011 · 13 Replies · 3,700 Views

Michael Traynor

et9x6uu-haw Hello all :)

Just a quick question about correct RLL Form for those like me whose weak link is Pike flexibility (i'm working on it hard).

I know that RLL on stahl bars must be done with hips pressed against the wall, my question is this (as the video says):

Should I only go down as far as my current flexibility allows?

or

Should I go down as far as my flexibility allows then let my hips come away for the rest of the rep?

or

Mystery option number 3 - the form of both of these suck and I am just doing it totally wrong?

I ask this question because I started training RLL doing number 1 but felt little benefit, then tried number 2, after a week of number 2 I felt an improvement in pike flexibility but also considerable DOMS. I do 2x5 RLL every day as part of my warm up cycle plus anytime it is in the WOD.

Thanks for your help as always!

Cole Dano

That's an interesting variation of the RLL.

I forgot about this variation, in the book its with the hips well off the wall as you did. Since this is also a press HS prep, you can see how this emulates the rolling of the lower back up.

I would think this is more difficult than the HeS variation for those who can easily do a HeS due to the extended ROM and lack of neck support.

I need to give this a try!

Michael Traynor

I certainly feel like the 2nd way is worthwhile but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being counter-productive, I guess by the underwhelming response, people don't know or don't care. :)

Christian Sørlie

We care :)

I do them like variation no2 as does everyone in my gym. Of course the only ones still doing this and not more difficult variations are, besides me, the 7 year old girls, but alas :roll:

Dillon Zrike

Breaks,

You are bending your knees on both variations. This would prevent your pike from getting better as you're not actually in a pike during the exercise. I'd say do the 2nd variation really stressing form.

Dillon

jl5555

I wonder if this variation is actually more difficult than a freestanding HeS RLL as you have the support against the back that you push against?

Michael Traynor

Thanks gentlemen :) I will keep doing it this way, Dillon, I normally do this warmed up so my hamstrings are straight but just did this cold for the sake of the video, will definately make sure I keep legs straight though thanks for the reminder :)

jl5555: I certainly find these more challenging the HeS RLL which I can do until the cows come home, especially as this allows for a greater ROM

Christian, I don't know what's more depressing: That the 7 year olds that you coach are stronger than me or that my 7 year olds are weaker than me. ;)

Cole Dano

You can't compare against his Viking Mutants!

jl5555

Ok, I'll have to give it a try...

Blairbob

I'm just saying, I find them very as do quite a few of our girls compared to HeSLL.

Michael Traynor

Easier than HeSLL or harder Blairbob?

Erich Lin

correct me if i'm wrong but this is very similar to german -> inverted right? you can start with tuck->straddle->full lay?

*edit* so HeSRLL will be easier because you are doing it mostly in a tuck ish the entire time and not going full rom. The variation #2 will be harder because you are going deeper ROM. You can make it even harder by going through a straight body right? And then ultimately move off this exercise or use it as conditioning if pulling from german to inverted with straight body is doable?

Michael Traynor
erichlin said:
correct me if i'm wrong but this is very similar to german -> inverted right? you can start with tuck->straddle->full lay?

*edit* so HeSRLL will be easier because you are doing it mostly in a tuck ish the entire time and not going full rom. The variation #2 will be harder because you are going deeper ROM. You can make it even harder by going through a straight body right? And then ultimately move off this exercise or use it as conditioning if pulling from german to inverted with straight body is doable?

It is a similar movement erichlin but the end goal is not to use it for training german hang pull through back lever to inverted hang, although abviously if you eliminated all piking in the hip this is what you would be training.

The goal for the RLL is to be totally piked; thighs to chest and unfold using lower back muscle, strengthening back and also compression for Press Handstands.

Obviously though, as with so much in gymnastics, strength gains will carry over to a number of things, I guess the key difference if that in this exercise you are using dymnamic core strength and abviously straight body would use static core strength. Both are good though :)

I just need to work my pike flexibility a lot so I am favouring the original RLL at the moment.

Anyhoo, all i was wondering from the get go is if I use the second variation where I let my hips come away from the bars to compensate for lowsy pike flexibility, am I going to injur myself or progress slower than than I would with strict form. Which helpfully has been answered as: that's fine so long as you keep your legs totally straight and concentrate on form.

So thanks very much :)

Blairbob

The german hang to basket is probably tougher since in the stall bar RLL you just go from inverted pike to straight.

Pretty similar to HeSLL but possibly easier.