L-Sit Flexibility PROBLEM [Legs]

Started by Augmenting Ape, April 2, 2011 · 2 Replies · 3,899 Views

Augmenting Ape

Salutations All,

I have been lurking here for a while but was so frustrated with my problem that I resorted to joining the community (This is the only forum i know of with such experienced trainees dedicated to gymnastics). So here is my problem:

Holding a rounded back L-Sit on parallettes is fine, HOWEVER when i try to keep my lumbar spine straight i suddenly feel a terrible strain behind my knees on the outside. I feel the strain on both sides but the right leg is far worse. It doesn't just feel like a deep stretch, it feels like something is being pulled in a way that could be injurious.

I have been stretching by standing up, and then bending forward at the hips whilst keeping my lumbar locked (essentially a very-slow non-loaded straight legged deadlift with my legs together). I try to bend forward as much as possible while sticking my rear out to balance. I can feel tension in the same area when i do this stretch but it is nowhere near as intense and does not make me feel as though something is about to snap.

Has anyone had a similar problem or perhaps have any advice?

Aaron Griffin

Is this hamstring related? I know my craptacular hamstrings are the weak link in my L-Sit (kinking the legs slightly increases the time I can hold it by about 20s, and doesn't hurt my lower back).

Try stretching your hamstrings really good before doing an l-sit and see if it's easier?

Cole Dano

That's interesting.

I'm going to throw out that this may be IT band related.

IT band foam rolling + stretches

It could also be that the Biceps Femoris is tight.

In either case one good stretch for you would be to lie on your back and grab your foot, or throw a strap around it, and take the foot to the opposite side. In other words if its your right foot move it to the left.

Keep the lumbar locked as while you are standing. Also make sure to lock out your knees.