I have been wondering what do you do during the WOD's or really any rest times. For example I usually sit or lay down on a couch during the long rest in the WOD. But is there anything you can do to maximize the benefit from the WOD? Like should you breath deeply? Should you sit, stand or lay down? Is it a good idea to drink a little bit of water in the rest? Stuff like this? Any ideas anyone? Or does it not really matter?!
What to do during rests?
Started by Newguy, April 1, 2011 · 8 Replies · 3,168 Views
I do a lot of mental evaluation during my long rests. I drink some water and think about the quality of the exercises I just did, how I could improve them and how I can apply what I learned from my previous set. I try to remain focussed on my workout for the entire hour and change I'm there. I just keep trying to understand the movements I'm doing, what muscles are working and whether I'm working at a level that will promote progression and development, but not cause injury.
During the short 30s rests between FSP sets, I just breathe deeply and go through a shorter version of the process above. I don't stretch or do abs or anything like that in between strength sets, I just try and focus on doing better.
I walk laps around the backyard. Keeps me warmed up, allows me to re-regulate my breathing when necessary and is kinda medidative too because it has become a habit.
A research study demonstrated the benefits of visualizing the exercises being performed during rest periods. I find that if I passively stand about and wait, or worse yet, try to get studying done/play chess/read RSS feeds ( :? ), my performance significantly diminishes, from a serious lack of mindfulness during the movement. I find I am more focused and attentive to my movement when, as rman mentioned, I actively reflect on how I am performing it, and maybe even try to do some activation drills. I like to do this in full squat.
Rest periods are an excellent opportunity to perform additional joint prep/prehab on an area that is not being focused on within that day's workout. For example, stretching legs on an upper body day or working shoulder prehab in between sets on a pulling day.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
I like to juggle. I find it a good use of time, as it is active, but not demanding, and focuses attention. Also, since I workout in my garage, I will either working on tidying it up or working on a home project. Or I am playing waiter to my children, who demand snacks or drinks. They don't even tip. It doesn't help with the workouts.
Haha!
funny! Also I like the idea of juggling, I always wanted to at least get semi good at it. but never had the time. And also thanks coach great idea! I will have to toy around with these ideas ![]()
I like to eat. But then again, I ALWAYS like to eat!
http://www.twjc.co.uk/tutorials.html This lot are great for juggling tutorials, there are also a bunch on youtube but many of them are of questionable value. Part of the beauty of basic juggling is that it's all cheap tricks, meaning that if you're stubborn enough you can learn something new in literally minutes (under 1/2 hour). I find the two tend to interfere with each other when done at the same time, but everyone is different
I like to mumble along to whatever music I'm listening to ![]()