Here's a great post by Kurt Harris: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2011 ... festo.html
That post and his blog in general are definitely worth reading.
Best regards,
Started by Donar, March 31, 2011 · 3 Replies · 3,751 Views
Here's a great post by Kurt Harris: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2011 ... festo.html
That post and his blog in general are definitely worth reading.
Best regards,
Very interesting read. Probably the most logical and informative method that I've read for constructing a "paleo" diet. One thing that I thought was a little strange: He said that corn and white rice were "acceptable" non-gluten grains although white and sweet potatoes were better forms of startch. Why white rice over brown rice? The only thing I can think of is that some of the fat is removed in going from brown to white. The Omega 6 to 3 ratio of brown rice is about 22:1 while the ratio in white rice is about 5:1, although both have relatively low fat to begin with. Is that the main reason?
grprahl said:Why white rice over brown rice? The only thing I can think of is that some of the fat is removed in going from brown to white. The Omega 6 to 3 ratio of brown rice is about 22:1 while the ratio in white rice is about 5:1, although both have relatively low fat to begin with. Is that the main reason?
It probably has more to do with anti-nutrients. While rice doesn't contain gluten, it has other bad things in there. I assume that in processing it to make it "white", you also lose some of those anti-nutrients. I've heard this argument elsewhere.
Like phrak said, it has more to do with anti-nutrients. Read this post about rice: