Frogstand to tuck planche

Started by Micah Ellinger, March 30, 2011 · 5 Replies · 3,812 Views

Micah Ellinger

Hey guys,

I have just been working two static positions, tuck front lever and straight armed frogstand.

I can do the (advanced) frogstand for 60 seconds, but I still can't hold tuck planche.

My plan is to try it for another 8-week cycle, incorporating some supplementary exercises like plank leans with scapula push-ups.

Would you guys recommend that I work on a more basic skill first (e.g. back lever) to build a better foundation of strength?

Or do you think it's worth sticking with the frogstands? Are there any other supplemental exercises you would recommend for the transition?

I'm going to stick with this whether or not I see steady gains, but it would be nice to get your opinions on this.

Thanks guys!

-Micah

Blairbob

How's your L-sit?

Micah Ellinger

I just maxed out at a 30 second L-sit. A basic one with palms on the floor, shoulders relatively rounded.

Were you asking about the endurance?

Michael Miskelly
My recommendation is to wait until you have achieved 3x30 sec L-sit on the floor before beginning PL work.

A quote from coach himself from the prerequisite thread. Im guessing that is what blairbob is getting at. When I moved from frog to tuck I could only hold it for 3 seconds but I just stuck with it and my times improved gradually.

Blairbob

Yep. It could be just that you need to treat it as a skill and get some time in.

Something I have played with is using a self spotting device (block or swedish ball) and holding the tuck position just on the toes. Bands can work as well.

Micah Ellinger

Great, thanks for your input guys!