Tendonosis recovery question

Started by Mark Bernacchi, March 30, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,970 Views

Mark Bernacchi

Hello all,

This may be a stupid question but I recently realized that I developed tendonosis in my elbows, so I have stopped most all upper body work. Correct me if I am wrong but from doing research on recovery, it seems that inflammation is not the problem in tendonosis and it actually is needed to speed up the healing process. If some inflammation is beneficial, then my question is should I continue to take fish oil while I am doing rehab?

Thanks for any clarification!

Longshanks

I have always took fish oil, whether this is the ideal practice I'm unsure. For tendonosis, just continue a scaled down push and pull programme that you can do at slow tempo (5-6secs per rep) without pain and stick to it for SSC's. I just do rows and push-ups but you may need to find your own level. Heat after the workout or on a night such as a hot water bottle will help immensely as well.

Also do not rush back into things, even once the pain is gone it may not be fully healed so build back up gradually or you will join the relapse club.

Mark Bernacchi

Thanks for the response!

Well I initially just did scaled push and pull movements, but now even those cause pain. For example, at the bottom of a regular pushup I have pain right where the triceps meets the elbow. Pulling causes a little bit of pain on the inside of the elbow sometimes. Anyway, my pulling strength is stronger than my pushing so I don't want to further my imbalance, and I may as well just catch up my lagging legs and back.

SamSpaiser

I was doing slow repetitions of FBE's but I found that even extremely scaled down movements didn't feel all that great. Instead I've been focusing on FSP very scaled down but held for longer durations. I've also been focusing on a lot of wrist/forearm exercises that build up a lot of lactic acid, as well as some other supplemental things. Adjusting the focus here seems to be addressing the major weaknesses that got me injured in the first place. Identify the weakness and strengthen it, would be the best way to approach this, in my opinion. We have the most to gain from working on our weakest links, right? As a result, I expect that when I get back into the full swing of things I'll be making faster and greater improvements overall.

Longshanks
Mbern said:
Thanks for the response!

Well I initially just did scaled push and pull movements, but now even those cause pain. For example, at the bottom of a regular pushup I have pain right where the triceps meets the elbow. Pulling causes a little bit of pain on the inside of the elbow sometimes. Anyway, my pulling strength is stronger than my pushing so I don't want to further my imbalance, and I may as well just catch up my lagging legs and back.

I know from experience that its a painful for the pride and a humbling experience but you need to keep scaling down until you reach a level where you can perform a good 4-5 sets of 5-10 of slow tempo reps (5 seconds each). This may even be just using weights to do reverse curls for your pull and maybe bench press or maybe some form of overhead tricep extensions with very low weight for your push. An alternative would be to just increase the angle from the floor with push-ups and rows to say 45 degrees or even higher until the initial inflammation calms down. Then slowly move closer to the ground again each SSC.