Heyo,
I had a couple questions about the L-Sit and Iron Cross and was unable to find the answer with the search i did quickly.
I'm a pretty inflexible guy (currently only able to touch my toes after 5 mins of stretching) and one of the FSPs I'm having the most trouble with is the L sit. I can hold an L-sit low for 30-40s and a proper L-sit for 10-15s. Should I attempt to progress with it in the same manner as the other FSPs? ie working sets use use 15-20s in L-sit low for 3-4 sets and on the heavy day, hold an L-sit for 7s for 2-3 sets? I typically train the L-sit with the other FSPs in my warmup, but should I give it more attention after the warmup before doing the WOD?
The second question is iron cross form and training and I'll get to it after I explain what I did. I believe I satisfy coach's pre-requisites for iron cross training, but I'm still taking it slowly. I started yesterday and treated it like another FSP, holding a "high" iron cross (wide support hold) with my arms at roughly 45 degrees from my torso for 10-15s for 4 sets. I also did some pulls, where I held the 45 degree cross and pulled to support. I did this in the skill training part of the workout (after the FSP warmups, but before the WOD) and I'm not feeling obnoxiously sore today. My biceps feel worked when I flex them but no DOMS, and my elbows seem fine.
To finally get to my two part question: where can I find the proper technique for holding the rings and the position of the shoulders? And am I approaching the training aspect of this correctly?
I watched many videos of gymnasts actually doing the cross and noticed they seem to have almost a false grip when they're in the iron cross. I've also read that the technique involves rolling your shoulders forward so that the inner part of your elbow is pointing somewhat toward the ground. I applied these two things yesterday and it felt OK, but before I go any further, I'd like to get some clarification from the pros.
Thanks ![]()
edit: In retrospect, this probably belongs in a different section of the forums, since IC stuff is not really considered basic strength. However, I'm approaching it from a beginner's point of view, so maybe this topic has a place here... If the mods disagree, please feel free to move it. Sorry for the trouble.