This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110328

Started by Coach Sommer, March 28, 2011 · 13 Replies · 2,943 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo FL Rows

1 Embedded PL + 5 Tempo Wall PL Pushups

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Row/Pushup variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) NOTE: When scaling always adjust the difficulty of the FBE so that you will be able to maintain the correct tempo, sets and reps as designated in that day’s GB WOD.

3) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 212 for the basic strength sets. For the L-sit Lifts, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

6) You may use the body position of your choice (tuck, flat tuck, single leg, straddle, half lay or straight body) during your FL Rows. Be sure to use a full ROM during this exercise.

7) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the Embedded PL. Also making sure that the hips are at shoulder height. You may adjust the position of the body as necessary.

8 ) If Wall PL Pushups are too difficult, scale down to a more appropriate pushup variation.

9) If L-sit Lifts are too difficult, scale down to a more appropriate Core variation.

10) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Uzeeh

I still haven't got any rings, so did this WOD on a tree branch and wooden parallettes. I definitely liked it, haven't done WODs in a while :)

Warmup:

2000m run

Shoulder dislocates 4x12 (2 normal, 2 dorsal)

High kicks

Some clapping pushups

WOD:

3x Tuck front pull to Tuck BL 20s + 5 tuck front lever rows/feet down rows for the last set

3x 20s Adv frogstand + 5 PPP on parallettes

3x Pulling to Adv tuck front lever 10s + Tuck L-sit "lift" (Not that much movement)

2x30s Bridge with feet elevated

2x30 Standing pike stretch

2x30 Butterfly stretch

2x30 Seated Pike

2x30 Seal Stretch

2x30 Seated straddle

My PPPs are feeling rather solid. I'm lacking on the rowing department, though, got to work those.

However, with the embedded static holds, how long should one hold the position? Since embedded is going into the position differently, is this supposed to be just a small 5s hold, or a longer one? Sorry if this has been answered already somewhere, but I didn't find any info. Thanks in advance, and thanks for this WOD :)

Eddie Stelling
Coach Sommer said:
3) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

:wink:

Uzeeh

........

Thank you. Let's just say that I'm tired... With the changing to summer time and all... One can't notice that kind of subtle hints :oops:

Josh Schmitter

Wrist Routine

FSP Warm up

3 sets each:

15s German hang(very little foot assist), 5 tempo Floor rows

15s Frog(tried adv. but it's been a while and my wrist was saying negative), 5 tempo push ups

15s Tuck FL, 5 tempo V ups(these were actually harder than I thought, mostly just the balance as I haven't done them in a long while...mostly body levers lately)

Push Warm ups: counted wrist routine push ups

Row Warm ups: 2 sets closer to standing rows

1x10 bridge wall walk.

Lower leg/ankle prehab

Contrast shower.

P.S. For the rows, is it mandatory that the rings touch the shoulders for a complete rep? Just curious

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

3 sets each:

MU-->reverse crank-->[full lay BL 10 sec/pull legs in to adv tuck BL 5 sec] + 5 tempo adv tuck FL rows

adv Frog stand 15 sec + 5 tempo floor PPP

MU-->german hang-->L back pull-->adv tuck FL 15 sec + 5 tempo tuck L sit lifts

10 bridge wall walks

*Yep, definitely need to re-dedicate to working the L sit variations

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Hard, mostly playing around with elastic to change difficulty around. My core got destroyed thats for sure. I piked a lot (I know), crazy how much the core has to be contracted (hollow) in some moves. First time back after 1 week being sick. I just slowly got back into it. Except for back lever I went crazy on it :mrgreen:

I tried to use a miniature elastic in L-Sit Lifts and it helped my range of motion slightly and made me work a lot more (I'll do it next time and video it to show) :shock:

This video does not show correct scaling ... just so you know haha; Just playing around. Video is last set as always.

7NAapnku2X8

William Reed

First Time Posting. I've been reading this forum for 2-3 months now, finally registered. By watching Spartan's last post video I realize now I didn't know what L-sit lifts were. Well this is what I did:

1000m Row

Wrist Routine, on my knees for the 10 knuckle to the back of the palms

FSP warm up, first time trying out support on XR instead of PB for the warm up. Had to do 40secs then 20secs.

3 rounds of:

15-20 sec Tucked BL/5 Tempo Tucked FL Rows

30-40 sec FS/5 Tempo of 3-1-5 PL floor Push ups

15-20 sec Tucked FL/5 Tempo XR Leg Lifts from Support Position

I tried out filming HS and MU form for about 30 mins after. Think I'll try to bring my laptop instead of using my phone(that was a pain). Then I started to walk on my hands and figured I'd try to alternate touching my shoulders. My feet were not perfect but that was fun. I could get about 3-6 on each side before coming down.

Finished with 100 Double Unders:

68 1st set

32 last set

Anyone tape their wrists when doing MUs? My skin on my wrist bend is getting quite raw there. I hear I will eventually get a callus there. No luck yet.

Cheers,

William

Eddie Stelling

WU: Ido's Shoulder Routine

- 2 good form chest roll to HS (took about 5 tries to get to 2 good ones)

- 3 x 2 HeSPU with hands elevated 3 in.

WOD:

3 rounds (I like doing it this way more so than 3 sets of each giant set):

MU---15s Straddle BL + 5 tempo FL rows (1-2 Straddle FL, the rest Tuck FL) - hips were piking in Straddle FL.

15s Tuck PL + 5 tempo band assisted straddle PL pushups (used 1 red band per foot)

Inverted Hang---3-5s Straddle FL, the rest in Tuck FL + 5 Tempo L-sit lifts on the p-bars + 10 v-ups (the L-sit lifts were pitiful!)

-Some Push Jerk work

-Jui Jitsu class

Didn't have time to do my FSPs. I will try and make this up.

Rudeskin said:
Anyone tape their wrists when doing MUs? My skin on my wrist bend is getting quite raw there. I hear I will eventually get a callus there. No luck yet.

Tape them up. I have bad calluses but they still rip open every time if I don't tape up.

Coach Sommer

SPARTAN-367 (PAT),

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Good job on placing the band for the assisted PL work nearer the hips. This requires a good deal more effort holding the extension than placing the band on the feet.

On your planche work there are three refinements that I would like you to consider:

1) Your lower back is arched during the assisted PL work. When fully extended in a PL position, your lower back should flat; with no arch or pike.

2) Your chest is arched during your PL. This is caused by your scapula being allowed to retract together. Two simple cues will always help you to have the correct scapula position during your FSP work; for levers keep the scapula retracted (pulled together), for PL work keep the scapula protracted (pulled as far apart as possible). Even if you are not yet strong enough to actually achieve the protracted scapula position, you should feel yourself striving to do so.

3) During your assisted PL Pushups, the hips did not rise simultaneously with the shoulders. During a correctly executed PL Pushup, the hips and shoulders should always be at the same height, at the same time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

Always very helpful to read your advice Coach -

When using bands for assistance with Lever work is there a preferred placement?

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Coach Sommer said:
SPARTAN-367 (PAT),

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Good job on placing the band for the assisted PL work nearer the hips. This requires a good deal more effort holding the extension than placing the band on the feet.

On your planche work there are three refinements that I would like you to consider:

1) Your lower back is arched during the assisted PL work. When fully extended in a PL position, your lower back should flat; with no arch or pike.

2) Your chest is arched during your PL. This is caused by your scapula being allowed to retract together. Two simple cues will always help you to have the correct scapula position during your FSP work; for levers keep the scapula retracted (pulled together), for PL work keep the scapula protracted (pulled as far apart as possible). Even if you are not yet strong enough to actually achieve the protracted scapula position, you should feel yourself striving to do so.

3) During your assisted PL Pushups, the hips did not rise simultaneously with the shoulders. During a correctly executed PL Pushup, the hips and shoulders should always be at the same height, at the same time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Much Appreciated Coach. I realize my mistakes. I do not work often on my PL because I do not have a 3 x 30s L-Sit on floor. I am at 3 x 10s at the moment with little rest.

I also noticed I have not progressed and have trouble progressing on my Front Lever and Planche as I do not understand the feeling you have described about my scapula. Physically I do not understand how to retract and protract I have trouble making the connection with my muscle/nervous system. I think the elastics help ease the load while I try to understand this feeling.

I`ve started to do Ido Shoulder routines for warmup and Im hope it helps in some way.

Also since I`m coming to your seminar in September I think I`ll fully understand how by then. Thanks Again!

Coach Sommer

Retracting the shoulder blades simply means trying to "squeeze" them together behind you, as though you were attempting to pinch something between the two scapula.

Protracting is a little harder to visualize but essentially means do to exactly the opposite of retracting; trying to spread your shoulder blades as far apart as possible. It may help to also picture the chest pulling inward as the shoulders pull forward during the protraction. This is what gives that "hollow" shape that you ofter see gymnasts use on their strength positions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro

I reply late but performed on time.

3x

BL(tuck) + 5 XR rows with feet onthe ground

PL(tuck) + 5 pushups with hands closer and a bit backwards

FL(tuck) + 5 tuck LSit lifts from high paralletes