This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jutajata's Log

Started by jutajata, March 28, 2011 · 18 Replies · 2,351 Views

jutajata

Hello all.

I'll initiate tomorrow a strength workout with the following goals in order of priority:

1. Full Planche 5 sec

2. Full Front Lever 10 sec

3. OAC 1 rep

My current level:

1. Straddle Planche maximum hold 10 secs.

2. Front Lever One Leg maximum hold 15 secs.

3. OAC only negatives or with assistance.

I plan to reach this goals in 2 cycles of 8 weeks each so I'll post my experience with this workout for this period, any comment or advices will be very apprecciated!

End of 1st cycle: May 20

End of 2nd cycle: July 15

Beside of this training i will do 2h per week of handbalancing training divided in 2 trainings of 1h each, i was doing 6h/week so now I will put this on maintenance mode to give more attention to strength training, also I do everyday 1h of stretching routine, and finally i train my personal routine because I do performances too so will be only 1h/week on that. So my weekly volume will be around 18 hours of training per week. I'm very used to this quantity of physical activity so i don't think will affect the adaptability for the Steady State Cycle I'll implement now.

I'm stuck for 2 years in the Straddle Planche so if I succeed to break this plateau this training will be a good template for those in the same spot than me.

So here we go:

Monday

Warmup

Planche Leans 3x15 secs

Cast wall walk planche 3x3 (hold 3secs at bottom)

FSP:

Straddle Planche 6x6sec

One Leg Front Lever 6x8sec (3set / leg)

FBE:

A1 : Straddle planche Pushups x3 (5set)

A2 : HSPU free standing X 3 (5set)

B1 : OAC assisted x3 ( 5set)

B2 : Front lever pulls x 3 (5set)

Finish with Body Lever 3x5 (hold 3 secs on bottom)

Thursday

Warmup

Planche Leans 3x15 secs

Cast wall walk planche 3x3 (hold 3secs at bottom)

FSP:

Straddle Planche 6x6sec

One Leg Front Lever 6x8sec (3set / leg)

FBE:

A1 : Straddle half-lay pushups x4 (5set)

A2 : 90 degree Pushups X 3 ( 5set)

B1 : OAC hold on top 5s x 3 (5 set)

B2 : Flat Tuck Front Lever Rows x 3 (5set)

Finish with Body Lever 3x5 (hold 3 secs on bottom)

Tuesday

Warmup

Planche Leans 3x15 secs

Cast wall walk planche 3x3 (hold 3secs at bottom)

FSP:

Straddle Planche 6x6sec

One Leg Front Lever 6x8sec (3set / leg)

FBE:

A1 : Straddle half-lay pushups x4 (5set)

A2 : MU on rings x 3 ( 5set)

B1 : OAC assisted x3 ( 5set)

B2 : Front lever Pulls x 3 (5set)

Finish with Body Lever 3x5 (hold 3 secs on bottom)

Friday

Warmup

Planche Leans 3x15 secs

Cast wall walk planche 3x3 (hold 3secs at bottom)

FSP:

Straddle Planche 6x6sec

One Leg Front Lever 6x8sec (3set / leg)

FBE:

A1 : Straddle planche pushups x3 (5set)

A2 : Flyes Pushups X 3 (5set)

B1 : OAC hold on top 5s x 3 (5set)

B2: Flat Tuck Front Lever Rows x3 (5set)

Finish with Body Lever 3x5 (hold 3 secs on bottom)

jl5555

Cool Arthur! Look forward to following the progress.

ashita

Good luck :wink:

it will works fore sure :)

jutajata

Ok so for now i did the Monday and Thursday training and took me a lot of time to finish the whole workout because I´m giving a lot of rest (3min) between the exercises since this training is on the pure strength level for me (80-95% load).

So on monday took me 1h40min to finish and today took me 2h but it was fine i didnt reach failure in any exercise and was able to perform every rep with quality but i feel its very intense for me, i feel that if i add one more rep ill failure so is on a good level to develop strength which is my main goal.

I have to thank to Ashita aka Vass for this training template, this whole training was programed between an intense PM session the last days.

I have a question about OAC negatives, i really suck on pulling strength so when i tried the negatives i just fall down without doing a real negative, i just go straigth down, so my question is instead of doing negatives should I just do holds on top, like 3 holds of 5 secs on top of OAC until i can start to do some negatives?

Thanks Ashita for helping me building this workout!

ashita
I have a question about OAC negatives, i really suck on pulling strength so when i tried the negatives i just fall down without doing a real negative, i just go straigth down, so my question is instead of doing negatives should I just do holds on top, like 3 holds of 5 secs on top of OAC until i can start to do some negatives?

Yes totally, do that until you can do hold of 10 sec.

And you're welcome , can't wait to see how you will progress :twisted:

Razz

Or you can do assisted negatives :)

jutajata

I've already do assisted on Monday and Tuesday so i will go for the holds initially.

Thanks for the advices Ashita and Razz!

Razz
jutajata said:
I've already do assisted on Monday and Tuesday so i will go for the holds initially.

Thanks for the advices Ashita and Razz!

Ah okay, I missed that. Good choice then!

jutajata

After finishing the first week i must say: HOLY CRAP :shock:

Was very intense and demanding, but i could perform every rep and exercise with good form so I imagine it's a matter of time now to go through overload to low effort.

Each workout it's taking 2h to complete on average, and I'm feeling good in general, my body is tired now after this week workout but i feel i can maintain this schedule if i work with discipline and preserving resources for the initial weeks.

Friday's workout goes hard on biceps, i think will be good to improve planche.

ashita

That's perfect, it has to be tired but not too much , it seems to be this.

Let's see how the next week will goes.

Let's build strength ! :twisted:

acegerter

Looking forward to watch you progress!

jutajata

Thanks for the support guys!

Now for my weekly update.

I've finished the 2nd week and was feeling pretty much the same as the first one, an average of 2h to finish the workouts and they are very demanding and intense, I'm tired now but feeling good.

The most demanded muscle is the biceps, on the weekend after the 1st week I've felt sore on the biceps tendon on the saturday and after a full rest on saturday and sunday the sore was totally gone so I think will be just a matter of adaptation.

Today I felt the biceps again as the most demanded muscle after this week workout, I think they are my weak point as I've never done a lot of rings workouts and never did any curling on gyms, my biceps may be undertrained and holding me back on planche development, for a long time i was stuck on an ugly bent arm straddle planche and after doing some biceps workouts i was able to hold a decent straight arm straddle planche since 2009.

Meanwhile, i am eating like the godzilla, my eager for food and sleep increased a lot after the implementation of this strength workout, but i think is just the adaptation of the body to a higher demand of energy, this will certainly put me a few extra pounds of muscle which is fine since im below the optimal weight for my height.

Any inputs will be appreciated about my adaptation through this first 8 weeks.

jutajata

After finishing the second workout on the third week of training i've noticed that was a lot easier than the first two weeks.

It demanded less effort than the first two weeks.

Good, everything going according to the plan! :D

jutajata

Okay so this is the end of the third week and I must say that was a lot easier on my elbows than the first two weeks.

Also yesterday I was playing around with some straddle planches at night and was able to close legs but only if i lift my legs above the line of shoulders doing a little arch on my back.

I was wondering if its beneficial for a full planche if i start to hold with legs together and the feets higher until i can descend more and more to achieve the full planche.

I'll make a video on this weekend to show what im saying.

So for this week its very clear that is less demanding than the first ones, can't wait to finish the whole 8 weeks!

Jason Stein

Arthur/Jutajata,

Thanks much for sharing your workout plan, and your experience as you go through it.

I believe you mentioned you scaled down the hand-balancing but are still practicing it --- I'd be curious to hear if you've noticed your new strength regimen affecting your hand-balance abilities and practice?

Also! Did I read your template correctly in that for example you perform 3 reps of Straddle planche pushup, and then immediately perform 3 reps of Flyes Pushups? Did I read this wrong?

Thanks again.

j

jutajata
I believe you mentioned you scaled down the hand-balancing but are still practicing it --- I'd be curious to hear if you've noticed your new strength regimen affecting your hand-balance abilities and practice?

I have scaled down to 1/3 from what i was actually doing so I can give more time and resources to strength training now, I was afraid that it might be couterproductive to my handbalancing training but it was not, I've even made a performance today in an event and the one arm handstand was more solid than ever, I didnt felt any loss in the handbalancing ability whatsoever and I can even say that it is improving, dunno if is an inertia effect from the previous months i was focused on that or if the strength training plus low volume of equilibre(2h/week instead of 6h/week) can develop my equilibre on HS aswell.

Also! Did I read your template correctly in that for example you perform 3 reps of Straddle planche pushup, and then immediately perform 3 reps of Flyes Pushups? Did I read this wrong?

Yes, Im giving a lot of room for pressing strength so the whole workout gives more focus on that because my main priority is full planche, but if your question is about the rest between them so i must say that they are not immediatly after, I'm giving 3 min of rest between each exercise, I'm not doing like some WOD's where we just do a good rest on the end of each giant set. It's pretty much almost pure strength training for me now, i rest 3 min between each exercise, only between B1 and B2 I do shorter rests because I feel i can rest less on those two while maintaining good form.

Thanks for the support and feel free to ask or give any input you might find constructive!

jutajata

I got sick last wednesday and only get better today, so i've missed four days of workout (last tuesday, friday and now this monday and thursday).

Im now on the 5th week and will continue until i complete 8 weeks.

I hope this pause didnt compromise my development. I was feeling very good and the training is giving me a lot of improvement on strength.

Now lets get stronger! :D

jutajata

Sorry for the absence on the last weeks, I've started to perform in a theater here in Buenos Aires and despite the fact Im training the strength routine very diligently I didnt have time to post updates.

Im entering now the 8th week of training on the first cycle of this training and I can notice a massive decrease in difficulty in a lot of techniques Im doing in the training as the front lever (one legged), straddle and half-lay planche, HSPU, 90 degree pushups and MUs.

I feel my biceps tendon a lot stronger and dont notice any soreness after the whole week as I was feeling in the beginning of this cycle.

In a general way is all easier to perform but Im still unable to hold a decent 3 seconds full planche (damn 6'2 :lol: ).

But my straddle planche is a lot more solid and the holding time has increased, i didnt measured yet but i can go through the 6x8 secs without burning my head off anymore. As I said in the first post I expect to achieve the full planche on the end of the 2nd cycle so everything is according to the plan until now.

I'll add one more week before the rest week for the next cycle because I have failed to do the training on the 5th week due to a sickness.

So i have 2 more weeks before testing new maximum hold/rep on the positions I selected to improve.

jutajata

Starting tomorrow 2nd cycle of 8 weeks:

Monday

Planche Lean 30 secs

ATP 1x25 secs

Wall walk full planche 6x3 (hold 4 secs at bottom)

5 sets of:

1 : Straddle planche Pushups x3

2 : HS to straddle PL negative x 3

3: HSPU x4

4 : Straddle Press x4

Thursday

Planche Lean 30 secs

ATP 1x25 secs

Straddle Planche 6x8sec

5 sets of:

1 : Straddle half-lay pushups x4

2 : Straddle L-sit to Straddle PL x3

3 : 90 degree Pushups x3

4 : Pike press x4

Tuesday

Planche Lean 30 secs

ATP 1x25 secs

Cast wall walk planche 6x3 (hold 4 secs at bottom)

5 sets of:

1 : Straddle half-lay pushups x4

2 : Tuck PL to Straddle PL x4

3 : Wall planche pushups x4

4: L-sit to V-sit x5

Friday

Planche Lean 30 secs

ATP 1x25 secs

Straddle Planche 6x8sec

5 sets of:

1: Straddle planche pushups x3

2 : L-sit to ATP hands backward x4

3 : HSPU x4

4 : HS to straddle PL negative x3