Pike and bridge

Started by ultimath, March 28, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,005 Views

ultimath

Hello,

My stretches are very terrible, but I just wanted to check if the form is OK.

pikesit.jpg

bridgej.jpg

Thank you.

Cole Dano

The pike form is ok, of course with time it will get deeper.

Bridge, this is just my take, others opinions may differ on this.

See how your feet are behind your knees, walk them out just a bit. Try to keep your legs somewhat more parallel so the feet aren't so turned out.

Once you've got that, begin to work to open the chest and shoulders, driving into the feet and rolling you chest forward so the shoulders come more over the hands.

Be careful though that this doesn't all go into the lower back, no pinching feel should occur.

This is a big subject, more than is possible to address now but will give you some ideas.

jl5555

Blairbob is usually the one to post that one way to work your bridge is to raise your feet onto a box, chair, sofa, etc. It's much easier this way to get your shoulders over your hands as Mr. Brady says above. Start with a higher box height, maybe 24 inches and then work your way down to 12" and then the floor eventually.

The only think I have to add about your bridge is that also the feet and knees should be parallel. That will come with open shoulders but it helps to build the body awareness now and try to work your knees together.

Aaron Griffin

Slight aside: I like your mat. Where'd you get it?

Blairbob

yeah, I would say that. elevate the bridge, stretch the shoulders.

ultimath

Thank you for all your advice. :)

The mat, I bought at some hardware store. Canadian Tire I think. It was very very very cheap.