L-hang/straddle -> Muscle-up

Started by Larry Roseman, March 25, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,635 Views

Larry Roseman

Is it possible to keep a full l-hang or l-straddle while doing a muscle-up?

I can do a few l-hang pull-ups ( without a perfect L yet).

Just starting working on the MU.

Can they be combined into one?

Not sure if I've seen it in any compitions but I don't see many competitions.

I've seen a muscle-up transitioned from an l-hang position, without maintaining the L to any great degree.

I'm wondering about maintaining the L through the entire movement, which may mean evening going

more towards a V as the shoulders and chest move forward during MU transition. Realistic? Ugly, attractive? Sadistic?

Just curious if anyone has seen this or thought of this or done this ...

Thanks,

FIN

Samuel Carr

Ya its possible on rings

Joshua Naterman

Look for andreas aguilar muscle up on youtube. It's the prettiest muscle up you'll ever see, and is exactly what you are talking about.

Blairbob

V Muscle-up would be very difficult, but L has been done.

Larry Roseman
slizzardman said:
Look for andreas aguilar muscle up on youtube. It's the prettiest muscle up you'll ever see, and is exactly what you are talking about.

Ok thanks. Just checked him out, at least on 1991. That was so smooth it didn't even look like a muscle up.

More like an elevator going up. I like the way he did it, it transitioned a dead hang into an L-sit as opposed to keeping

the legs out the whole time. But I'm sure he could do it any way if he wanted to.

What makes the difference between a smooth action and a jerky one? It's strange that

we have the strength to do certain things herky-jerky but not smooth. Are the muscles taking small rest breaks,

and then firing? Or is it more a nuerological thing that the neurons need to work out the right recruitment

order and pattern?

Joshua Naterman

It's all about building extremely strong scapular depressors and triceps, for the most part. Those are what I notice working the hardest when I do muscle ups without hardly any forward bend. As my lower traps slowly get used to working again I am noticing a steady improvement in muscle ups. Obviously you need to be fairly strong everywhere, but if you can do a false grip pull up with the bar to your lower chest and you can do a Russian dip with a perfectly straight and vertical body then you should be able to do a muscle up just like the one in Andreas' video. The triceps are the limiting factor for the dip portion and the scapular depressors and protractors are the limiting factors in getting your lower chest to or above the bar during a muscle up.