Shoulder Pain

Started by Erich Lin, March 23, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,594 Views

Erich Lin

So three weeks ago, I experience some shoulder pain after working out. It happened whenever i moved my arm between the 30-60 degrees laterally.

I stopped working out for a week, then worked out again. 3 Workouts later the pain kicked in again.

I stopped working out for a week, and now it has subsided again.

I started doing Ido's shoulder thing about 2 weeks ago since I realized that I have been neglecting shoulder mobility/flexibility.

Should I start jumping right in again while doing shoulder mobility/stability?

Should I just start with Ido's shoulder routines, and wall extensions, bridge wall walks, and shoulder stretching. Then add in Lsit/manna work/straddle L work? Then add in normal exercises again?

What's the recommended RX?

Erich

Cole Dano

It does sound like an impingement problem.

You have the right idea of how to treat it. It can be slow to heal so just keep monitoring how you respond.

Assuming it is impingement, i found for myself that while doing the exercises you list that you can use the pain as a feedback system. Essentially make the movements as pain free as possible and program that into your nervous system via repetition.

One of the causes for me was poor lat activation, the lats will pull the head of the shoulder down as the hand moves up. Keeping the head of the shoulder down means its not pressing on that aggravated bursa or tendon.

Erich Lin

Hmm, that lat activation thing sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot. I also think I'm going to give acupuncture a shot. A PT guy i talked to said it's my supra (not sure if that is spelled correctly) that is weak

Cole Dano

Supraspinatus that's correct, its the part of the rotator cuff responsible for laterally raising the arm.

It can be weak as well, in any case strengthening exercises are (e.g. the band lateral raises) are standard procedure.

Oh since there is certainly some inflammation, any anti inflammatories like fish oil will help as well. NASIDs are ok as a temporary measure, but i personally don't like them for rotator cuff issues as they weaken the connective tissue that you want to be strengthening.

Erich Lin

Thanks a lot Mr. Brady :) Yea, i don't like drugs/medicine , so I'll probably refrain from NASID's.

I'm taking a lot of fish oil pills, eat a can of sardines every day, and 10 eggs a day (250mg of omega 3 per egg)