This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spinelli's log

Started by Joseff Lea, March 23, 2011 · 95 Replies · 6,395 Views

Joseff Lea

Elbows still feeling pretty sore today and the WOD looked like it would be really hard on my elbow so I just did some push ups and rows, felt pretty good. Gave me elbows a contrast bath in the hope that it would help, doesn't seem to have helped yet but hopefully it will. Realised that I should have gone for a run to increase circulation and such but by that time I'd already had a shower...

Looking forward to Thursday now, hopefully my rings should get here soon, anyone got any idea how long they usually take?

Edit: yay my extreme rings came! I got them set up and tried some supports and such, much easier than on just ropes. Did some dips and then my bar came loose and I fell... oops, luckily I wasn't very high off the ground so I didn't bash my knees too bad and the bar fell on my back, not my head! I think I'm going to have to find somewhere outside to use them.

Joseff Lea

Hey everyone I'm back! Never meant to be away but I've had a pretty rough time of things since my last post and couldn't even think about GB. Things are getting better though and now I feel ready again to keep this log.

Don't think that my time away has been completely devoid of training, but it hasn't exactly been structured. Recently been doing a lot of manual labour and seeing some good results also really enjoyed working my headstand presses and also going from L-sit through to Planche (found both work core compression really well). I'm back at my parents house now so I've been able to set up my rings properly and have started working german hangs and such.

Not going to do a workout this weekend as I'm totally knackered, think I've been suffering from some insomnia, but that's getting better now also. Will start again on monday.

LaughingTiger

Welcome back! I was wondering what had happened to you. Are you settled for a while or will you be looking for your own flat again soon?

I'm finally trying to structure my workouts. I keep discovering and forgetting about headstand presses. I have been thinking about a good core exercise for my current workout. I think I have found that exercise.

I'm glad you have a place to hang your rings. I hope you're able to find a cure for your insomnia.

Joseff Lea

Thanks, nice to know that I was missed. Yeah I'm living with my parents now until I can find a job which should hopefully be soon but what with economic slowdown and everything it may take a while. The Insomnia has been getting much better these past few days so hopefully I'll be back to normal in another couple of months, doesn't helped that there's a guy who lives above me who isn't the most light footed of people and get up at about 5 every morning, but he should be leaving in a fortnight or so.

I've found that preceding headstand presses with... dam can't remember the name of the exercise, it's the one where you put your feet against a wall and try and sit in a piked position and move your head from side to side and then up and down. There's a post about it somewhere on here that I'll try and find later. Anyhow I've found doing that then headstand presses has really increased my hamstring flexibility dramatically.

It's great having a proper place for the rings, downside is I don't have anywhere to put my pullup bar but I think the rings more than compensate for that. :D

Didn't do anything today, very lazy day :P but will get on it tomorrow.

Joseff Lea

Ok so I lied didn't do any real exercise today but I promise that I will get some done tomorrow. In my defense though I did walk about 8 miles along quite mountainous rugged terrain. Found my lower back was feeling quite weak by the end of it, need to do some postural work asap as I've noticed that has deteriorated recently.

Joseff Lea

Been away from this board for quite a while now. Been meaning to get back into the habit of posting but so little time these days. Started training with my brother this week which has been a really good motivator for me to get back into things. Had a really good workout today, currently training 3 times a week and going for mass for a bit more. I will start the WODs again in a few months once I've got myself in acceptable condition again, and will post workout details once I get around to it. Any advice on the routine I've devised would be much appreciated.

Feels really good to be back on the forum!

Joseff Lea

So finally found some time to post a outline of the workouts that I'm currently doing. As a note the whole thing is a bit of a compromise between me and my brother, he's only interested in getting big and I'm looking for strength. However I have convinced him that it's a good idea to do bodyweight exercises as it's cheaper and we can do it at home, besides I'm the one designing the program :D . We'll probably use this program for about 3-4 months and then switch to the WODs with some supplementary mass work added in (any advice on how to do this would be most welcome).

Warmup (performed each training day)

Light jog and joint mobility exercises

Wrist routine and some shoulder work

Basic FSPs

60 sec plank

60 sec reverse plank

60 sec hollow hold

60 sec arch hold

60 sec dead hang

60 sec pb support

Monday

3 rounds of:

15 x pushups

15 x hanging knee raises

15 x inverted rows

Then 6 x 30 sec sprints with jogging back to start being recovery time.

Then a 10 minute run and then streching

Wednesday

3 rounds of:

15 x pullups

15 x weighted squats

15 x overhead presses

Then 6 x 15 sec all out punching on punchbag with 15 sec rest

then a quick warm down jog and some light stretching

Friday

3 rounds of :

15 x dips

15 x renegade rows

15 x inverted pull ups

Then a 20 minute cycle followed by an extensive stretching session

So far we've both seen some pretty good results in terms of mass gain and body composition so for now all is good (however we've only been doing it for a couple of weeks). In future I would like to add in some handstand work a few times a week, I'm guessing it would be best to put that after the FSPs? Thanks for any advice in advance!

Joseff Lea

Missed training last Friday and Monday so had to get a good one in today. Did the Friday schedule as we hadn't done that last week, felt pretty good so I think we shall train again tomorrow. Going to add in L-sits and handstands after the warmup from next week onwards. I think we just about have the capacity to do it and also the wrist strength.

Joseff Lea

Today was a pretty intense session. Did the Monday routine but with the punchbag work instead of the jogging. Also changed the pb support to an xr support as well as going the plank or rings. I'm wanting to add in some bridging work but am not sure how to start, we did a few backward walkovers against a wall but I always really feel a lot of stress in my lower back. Is this a shoulder flexibility issue? What can I do to minimise the pressure on my back? As a note I do have a relatively weak lower back,

Had a cold shower afterwards and am now feeling really good. 8)

Joseff Lea

Last weeks training went well and today was another good one, starting to see some fantastic result in terms of body composition etc. Started doing some L-sit work today also. Going to rewrite my exercise schedule out again at the end of the week so that it includes all the joint prehab and such that I'm doing.

I was pretty tired today (been working constantly for the past few weeks) and I'm thinking that in a week maybe 2 depending on how I'm feeling I'll do a light week and then come back for another SSC and then maybe move on to the WOD if I've achieved my mass aims.

I weighed myself just now and I don't appear to have gained much, gaining mass is really hard for me but I must have gained some as I've lost a bit of weight so all is good. Will feel better once I'm over 154lbs.

Joseff Lea

Haven't really trained for the past couple of weeks. Last week was meant to be a week off from training with lots of rest and relaxation, however it was also my week off work and I met some really cool people and so it was a shall we say slightly excessive week :oops: .

I was going to get back into training this week but so far I've been too exhausted, possibly the previous routine was a bit much for me so I think I'm going to scale back down to a killroy style workout for a bit now and see how that goes for an SSC. This next one is meant to be more strength orientated anyway, so 3x5 should be fine.

Joseff Lea

Feeling good now and have a slightly modified routine for this next coming SSC. :D

I've added in a lot more prehab and increased the number of FSPs. With the FBEs I've backed off on the volume, increased the intensity and included some multiplane moves.

This routine should see me good for the next 2-3 SSCs after which I think I'll switch to the WODs :D

WIll post full routine in a bit and tell you today's training goes later.

Oh nearly forgot to say, my goal by the end of the year is to do one muscle up, not sure if I'll be able to do it as my elbows really feel the strain during the transition but I think it is possible. Oh and does anyone know the elbow joint prehab progression for IC that coach has posted on here? I can't find it.

Brutus
spinelli said:
Oh nearly forgot to say, my goal by the end of the year is to do one muscle up, not sure if I'll be able to do it as my elbows really feel the strain during the transition but I think it is possible. Oh and does anyone know the elbow joint prehab progression for IC that coach has posted on here? I can't find it.

I´m very interested in this particular topic.

I am also trying to achieve a muscle-up. I am still trying to work on my false grip on rings (i am only capable of doing elevated feet false grip rows).

I´m also suffering soreness in my right elbow which seems to disappear as I warm up.

Joseff Lea

Cheers Niklas03 for the link.

Brutus: SLizzardman has made a great video

which is what I'm going to be doing lots of towards the end of the prehab section of my workout. Yeah I need to work my false grip a lot, doing false grip rows and dead hangs. I've remember reading somewhere that inverted false grip holds are meant to be very effective for developing it, a bit scared to try them yet though.

Keep us posted as to your progress :D

Joseff Lea

Today's workout was pretty good and i feel fantastic afterwards. We forgot to do the specific prehab for today which was back bridges until after we'd done the FSPs and it did not go well, couldn't push up in that position. Otherwise everything was good.

Warmup: Light jog uphill, wrist routine and hindu push ups.

FSPs: 60 sec of each. Plank, reverse plank, arch hold, hollow hold, pb support, dead hang (with false grip)

then as an additional FSP for today some handstand work.

Prehab: back bridges, did not go well, having a really hard time starting with these. Anyone got any pointers, I always really feel the pressure in my lower back and so I don't like to train them.

FBEs: 3x4 false grip pull ups, 3x5 squats with my brother on my back (weighs about the same as me), 3x3 headstand presses (really liked how tough these were)

Multiplane exercise: Negative muscle up (really enjoyed these, managed to get the transition nice and slow on the way down until I was at the top of the pull up then my strength in that part is lacking. So main thing I need to work on for these is sternum pull ups.

Cardio: 6 x 15 sec all out punchbag work with 15 sec rest inbetween (arms felt like jelly after this)

Warmdown and strech: a 5 min uphill jog and then a basic strech of everything. Cold shower (and it was bloody cold, but so worth it as I feel great now)

Thinking this program is pretty well designed as a basic one, took about an hour to complete. Anyone got any comments or advice as to how it could be improved let me know :D . Right out for my friend's birthday now :evil:

Joseff Lea

Good training yesterday so very happy today. I didn't train last Friday due to work and my birthday was over the weekend so I didn't get anything done (as an aside if you ever get a chance to play a game called "how to be a complete bastard" take it! It is the most hilarious game I've ever played).

Yesterday's routine went a bit like this:

Warmup: Light jog uphill, wrist routine and hindu push ups.

FSPs: 60 sec of each. Plank, reverse plank, arch hold, hollow hold, pb support, dead hang (with false grip)

then as an additional FSP for today some L-sit work (pb low for 3x20 sec).

Prehab: Shoulders today, hindu pushups, shoulder dislocates, wall extensions and Ido's band routine.

FBEs: 3x5 xr pushups, 3x5 inverted rows with elevated feet, 3x5 headstand presses (Misread these the other day they were meant to be handstand push ups last training session )

Multiplane exercise: Ticktocks, wasn't able to turn my hands so that they faced backwards in the back lever as the pressure on my elbow would have been too much, is this a good compromise?

Cardio: light jog and some sprints (were meant to do 6 sets but I had to get to work so we just did the one)

Warmdown and strech: a 5 min uphill jog and then a basic strech of everything. Cold shower (really loving these as a recovery aid)

Will post the full program on Friday I think. Happy training! :D

Joseff Lea

Yesterday's training went ok. same as last weeks but did headstand pushups instead of headstand presses. Also the bridging work went better, I think until I get proficient at them that I'm just going to work the bridge on the floor and not worry about walkovers until I have a decent technique, anyone got an opinion as to whether this is a good idea?

NOticed some really good mass gains over the past weeks, now up to around 158lb :D .

Feeling pretty tired now but off to work I go.

Will post a full routine tomorrow

Joseff Lea

Been training pretty consistently since the last time I posted, still making huge gains in terms of body composition and strength so all is good there. Must say I'm so glad that I've taken these past few months to really nail the basics and condition my joints, it sucks in a way though as I've not even started training for some of my goals such as the planche. However I'm pretty sure that I'll only spend a single SSC on frogstand, advanced frogstand and tuck planche each then I'll be on advanced tuck planche. By then I'm sure my elbows will be conditioned enough and I'll be able to progress again. Very excited about the new year now!

My negative muscle up is pretty good now, I can do the transition super slow but the positive is still a little way beyond me. Had my brother spot me and it was still a huge struggle, I think most of is technique though so maybe in a week or two I'll have it down :D

Joseff Lea

Good Monday training again even though I felt quite tired. Have a new guy training with us now, he'd seen the results me and my brother had been getting and wanted some of that haha. Actually had quite a few questions about my training recently :D .

Didn't train on Wednesday as I was at a Machinehead gig (awesome btw) and I expected my neck to be utterly screwed afterwards but in the morning just a tiny bit of stiffness 8). I think this must be down to training and increased recovery capabilities as my friends were all complaining and I'd been in the pits a lot more than them :twisted:

Anyhow going to do some training before work this evening, really looking forward to finishing this SSC in a weeks time and having a bit of a break over Christmas.

Joseff Lea

Friday's training went well.

My german hangs are improving as my elbows are slowly becoming accustomed to the strain. I think I'll have to be very careful with these though and spend a good two SSCs slowly building myself up to the full minute hold. I can currently do around 15 seconds for 3 sets before I really start to feel discomfort in the joint.

L-sit to tuck planche on parallel bars are going well, not to bothered yet with the form of the planche or l-sit as I'm yet to start working them properly just focusing on keeping the elbows locked and compressing the core.

Noticed I need to take a bit of a step back with the xr support, can't keep my shoulders back yet so I'm going to go back to pb support for the next SSC or so until I get it sorted.

Going to redesign my program a bit for the new year as my work capacity has increased, going to include a bit of prehab on each joint every workout and start practicing my FSPs a bit more.

Joseff Lea

Another good session today, got a cd player into the garage now so we were able to stick on some in flames (One of the best metal bands ever imho). Extended my shoulder prehab routine to include shrugs and trap raises. Really focused on keeping the shoulders back in the L-sit which made them absolute murder on my back, clearly a long way to go as I've had to go back to the tuck version for a bit.

Did a few pike stretches before doing the headstand presses which really helped with getting the legs lower and made the exercise much more of a core workout. The ticktocks felt really good today, hardly any elbow strain in the backlever portion now :)

Tried a couple of negative muscle ups, I can stop at any point in the transition now, but I don't think I'll get it before the new year :( never mind though as I know it wont be long and I'll get a proper one with minimal kipping from the off.

Joseff Lea

Had a really intense session today, was totally knackered by the end of it, but I very nearly have a muscle up, just need a one finger assist to get it :D . The bit I'm really having trouble with is pressing out of the transition, the actual transition isn't that bad anymore, still needs some work though.

I was initial afraid that I'd pushed it too far today but I feel ok now and have ample opportunity to rest until Friday. Last hard session then until after christmas, sooo looking forward to the week off. I will do one or two sessions but they will be just my warmup, and prehab with maybe a bit of stretching at the end.

My brother's muscle up transition is coming along well also and is getting to be nice and slow too. looking forward to starting the frogstand after the new year, my biggest fear with them is that they will be too much for my wrists, but i did about 4 minutes of handstand work today and they felt fine so all should be good.

Joseff Lea

Last training for this SSC today and it was a hard one. Felt pretty tired from work and the previous session. Been doing a lot more shoulder prehab which I think we will keep on doing every workout from now on. Really had to push hard on the last few reps, but we didn't compromise on form at all which was nice. Forgot to work the German hang but I think that may have been a bit too much for the old elbows so I'm not bothered.

Going to really enjoy this week off now, plenty of food and plenty of rest. Might do a light workout on Wednesday but that will just be prehab and some stretching. Really not looking forward to work this evening but it's a necessary evil :( .

Ohh and the compliments on my physique just keep coming which is great! :D

Joseff Lea

Really enjoying my week off I must say. I might do some flexibility work on Friday but at the moment I really need some rest. Been sleeping for 12 hours at a time (not helped by the fact that my sleeping patterns have been screwed up by an anime addiction :? )

My elbows have been feeling a little bit sore, but I think this is mostly due to the last week been especially tough and the pain is nearly gone now. It's not really pain anyway more of a stiffness. Been giving my forearms some massage and there are some knots starting to develop in there but they should be gone in a week or two. I don't think I'm going to change my routine for the next SSC, I really would like to include some work on the planche and frontlever but I don't think I'll be able to handle it yet, maybe I will work it very habitually. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Ohh and in case I don't post before then merry Christmas everyone!