New to GB

Started by LaughingTiger, March 22, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,666 Views

LaughingTiger

Hello All,

After lurking on the boards since before BtGB was published, I've finally decided to officially join the community.

I'm 37, 5'9" 200-210 lbs, and for the longest time, I simply wanted to be able to hold a handstand and planche. In the pursuit of those goals, I watched a lot of videos on youtube, checked out a few hand balancing websites, a few yoga websites, and even had a training session with Mr. Beast Skills himself(was cool to find out he's local. :D )

The videos, websites and training session were all good. I always learned something but after a while I would always get stuck. I'd known about BtGB for a while and actually wanted the book before it was published. After the book was published I was hesitant to buy it, not really sure why. I even stopped lurking on the board for a while.

After reaffirming to myself that I really do want to accomplish my hand balancing goals, I started looking for local adult gymnastic classes and started lurking on the forum again. Seeing all of the positive posts, the amazing videos from forum members and comments about the book, added to my enthusiasm. I'm still looking for a class to attend in the DC metro area, but I'm the happy owner of BtGB and know that I still make progress either way. Just learning that an L-Sit is needed to help my planche work has been very helpful. Explains why I could hold a 60s frog stand but my tuck planche was such a flop.

I wish much success to everyone as they pursue whatever their goals may be. I thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences, it's been very helpful to me.

Michael Traynor

Well a warm welcome to you and your first post :) It seems the way with BtGB to lurk for a long time before getting involved, I know that's what I did :)

SNOWIS

Check out www.urbanevo.com/. There's a forum member, Tsoonami, who is currently training there.

LaughingTiger

Breaks, thanks for the welcome it's much appreciated.

Snowmis, thanks for the link, it's actually close to my house. I'd seen other gyms in Alexandria, but not this one.

John Sapinoso

LaughingTiger,

Welcome to the forums my friend. I both train and instruct at the Urban Evolution facility and would love to have a fellow forum member under the same gym roof. Check out the gym's site urbanevo.com and the blog in my signature thejsap.blogspot.com to see a bit more of the gym and the kinds of things you can do there.

Hope to see you there!

LaughingTiger
ts00nami said:
LaughingTiger,

Welcome to the forums my friend. I both train and instruct at the Urban Evolution facility and would love to have a fellow forum member under the same gym roof. Check out the gym's site urbanevo.com and the blog in my signature thejsap.blogspot.com to see a bit more of the gym and the kinds of things you can do there.

Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the nice welcome on the board and in email. It's my plan to stop by the gym tomorrow, I have a couple of questions but I'll send those to your g-mail.