Press Handstand - Shoulder Rotation?

Started by Seiji, March 22, 2011 · 1 Replies · 3,526 Views

Seiji

Well, I've given myself tendonitis in my wrist for the second time, except now I know exactly why. Press handstands. From a pike, I can lift through straddled to a handstand fairly easy. Depending on how high my hips are (i can't straddle l into it yet), it gets harder. Well, with this intensity increase, I internally rotator at the shoulders and my elbows face outwards whioe under tension. That's extremely awkward on my wrist, and testing a few things, It's the exact reason I have tendonitis. So, my question is, where should my elbows face?

At least this gives me time to work my external rotation strength >.<

acegerter

I've actually been playing with this for a while now and have yet to figure it out.... If I focus on externally rotating my elbows, I end up with seriously sore shoulders and wrists. If I work on internally rotating, my balance is funky. As of now my right elbow rotates out a bit more than my left but I think its ok for now because my balance seems to be working on both.

My best guess (handbalancer and others may have more insight) is to have your elbows in a comfortable position in between fully externally or internally rotated. Try having the inside of each elbow face each other and see how it feels.