rings turned out question?

Started by Timy7, March 21, 2011 · 9 Replies · 7,529 Views

Timy7

just a random question

during supports and my planche work I am very comfortable with rings turned out however a friend and a former collegiate gymnast told me I shold benf my wrists so my forearms aren't against the rings as that's cheating??

I can do either just like to know what is right

Nic Scheelings

Whenever I turn the rings out my forearms come off the straps, I'd be surprised if when they are fully turned out your forearms could still be on the straps. Especially during the planche as the hands should be facing backwards so I don't see how ur forearms could still be on them. Maybe try turning more.

I just realised u said rings, but definitely in the planche due to the lean forward ur forearms shouldn't touch the ring or straps when fully turned out.

David Picó García

If you arrive to support from a hang with false grip the wrists are bent at some degree while if you just do the support from low rings where you put your hands on the ring you probably wont bend them at all. Anyways if rings are turned out and you open a bit your arms so you arms don't rest on your body, (maybe you think they are not resting but tightly pressed to your body, which is in fact resting :wink: ) they shouldnt touch the straps.

marcusuni

I have been thinking about this recently and I hope somebody can help me. I want to know why do the rings have to be turned out? So what are the benefits of having them out?

Thanks.

Blairbob

Because it's harder.

When the rings are turned in, your forearms rest on the straps taking some of the weight off. Turn the rings out and it's all on the muscles and tendons.

Seiji

That rotational strength is really important, which I learned at an inconvenient time after neglecting it >.

Razz
Blairbob said:
Because it's harder.

When the rings are turned in, your forearms rest on the straps taking some of the weight off. Turn the rings out and it's all on the muscles and tendons.

Also the internal rotators of the humerous will be in a stretched position making it harder for them.

Coach Sommer
marcusuni said:
... I have been thinking about this recently and I hope somebody can help me. I want to know why do the rings have to be turned out? So what are the benefits of having them out? ...

The primary reason for working with the rings turned out is to progressively condition the biceps tendon in preparation for training more advanced ring strength elements in the future.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

jl5555

How does this translate to ring handstand work? I have no issue with rings turned out in the support position for decent hold times. In my ring HS initially the rings were very (very) turned in. I have been working hard to turn them parallel but it is clearly a strength/alignment issue. Ironically, when I do HS wall runs my endurance is much better with my fingers pointing out/palms in. Is there a connection here?

Gregor

On rings HS must be with riongs slightly turned out like letter V! If not, you are touching straps wich is deduction by 0.1.

It's way easier with rings turned in.