Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Started by Marlon, March 19, 2011 · 7 Replies · 2,570 Views

Marlon

This might be a bit off topic considering this is a gymnastics forum, but I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here when it comes to lifting as well.

Anyway, I've just started lifting, pretty much for the first time two weeks ago. I've done back squats very few times in the past, and only tried deadlifting once before, so I have very little knowledge when it comes to how the form should be. My biggest concern is my lower back, I'm still not clear from the things that i've read weather i should be striving to keep a flat back, like in a hollow body position (which is where i naturally feel like I should go when I'm trying to stabilize my spine) or if I should maintain a slight arch in my lumbar spine.

For that matter I'm not really sure what actually constitutes Neutral, flat, rounded, or arched when it comes to lifting. I've read from some places you should be working to keep a neutral spine, and from others to be slightly arched. Since the natural position of the lumbar spine is a slight arch, does that mean that slightly arched and neutral are the same thing? or is a flat back considered neutral?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2sg38hVTkds

Rafael David

I think you have good form, but im not specialist, so... :roll:

Blairbob

Decent.

1. Pull the slack out of the bar off the floor before you lift from the floor in the DL.

2. Keep the head inline with the spine. By looking forward, it's actually out of alignment. This is very common in most DL nowadays.

3. Looks like you High Bar Back Squat. Looks good, but from the hole your knees are traveling a little bit forward so want to make sure to push through the heel. I can't remember what kind of shoes you were wearing to comment on them.

Marlon

Thanks for the responses guys, i appreciate it.

Ryan Verma

I put my comments on the video itself.

nikosg

I think you need to sit a bit deeper into your DL's personally.

I think the transition at the top o the DL needs work too. Its like your pushing your hips forward too soon and pulling your shoulders back from a little less upright than it should.

that last comment is a little confusing. Someone please correct me if im wrong, im no expert :P

RatioFitness
nikosg said:
I think you need to sit a bit deeper into your DL's personally.

I disagree.

Blairbob

Everyone's DL will be a bit different. As I said, Marlon needs to work on his start and this will change the angle in the lift off the floor. He pulls from the floor without putting tension on the bar first which would lock in his body where it needs to be.