This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110315

Started by Coach Sommer, March 15, 2011 · 12 Replies · 2,181 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of: MU to BL, pullout to FL, lower to hang, MU to XR L-sit, 2 Dip to XR L-sit, press to shoulder stand, press out to XR Support Hold, roll backward to BL, FL

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) The MU to BL is performed by executing a MU to just over the transition and then lowering with control down into a back lever. Note that it is necessary to press the shoulders forward during the descent into BL in order to maintain the correct balance. The body position of the BL may be modified as needed to accommodate your current strength levels.

3) If necessary, the MU to BL may be scaled down by performing a MU to support and then rolling backward to the BL.

4) All MUs should be performed with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) For the Dips to XR L-sit, perform a regular straight body XR Dip during the descent and then finish the ascent of the XR with the legs in an XR L-sit.

6) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

7) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

8 ) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

9) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

10) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Gustav

Nice workout!! :D

The wall extensions really burn!!

And after the press handstand WOD last friday I have improved in my Handstand presses. I just bend my legs a little at my straddle press and I need more flexibility for pike press :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

:shock:

ok Full focus!

Eddie Stelling

MU to BL!!! Oh yea! This looks awesome Coach! Make some videos guys!

Kenneth Manning

Really felt this one today...

Did as prescribed with these alterations:

-began with MU to support, then backward roll to BL

-had to reset false grip prior to second MU

-ful lay BL and adv tuck FL for fsp during ring series (2-3 sec hold for each)

Still have an issue maintaining my false grip (or perhaps re-attaining) when a second MU pops up in the middle of a ring series. Any suggestions? Or is this just something that comes with further work?

Squatchy
killroy70 said:
Really felt this one today...

Did as prescribed with these alterations:

-began with MU to support, then backward roll to BL

-had to reset false grip prior to second MU

-ful lay BL and adv tuck FL for fsp during ring series (2-3 sec hold for each)

Still have an issue maintaining my false grip (or perhaps re-attaining) when a second MU pops up in the middle of a ring series. Any suggestions? Or is this just something that comes with further work?

Did the same, but with rowing MU's and adv flat tuck BL. I always have to reset my false grip as well, not sure what to do about it either, I was guessing it just comes with more practice/ability.

Eddie Stelling

WU: Just did 1 of Ido's Shoulder Routines

3 rounds:

MU--BL--pull out to straddle FL--hang--MU--L-sit--2 dips to L-sit--press to shoulder stand--press to support--roll back to BL--pull out to straddle FL

FSP - did these next

WOD statics:

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

2x10 Wall Extensions.

Cardio:

5 rounds

400m run

40 double unders

12:38

Here is the video I made of my 2nd round of the ring series. It was the best attempt I had at the MU to BL. I will probably screw up the embedding so my bad. If someone know how to do it, give me hand!! :wink:

tkLoWWed2iU

John Sapinoso

(pasted from http://thejsap.blogspot.com/2011/03/031511-wod-muscle-up-to-back-lever.html)

Prior to arriving to the gym I had run around the entire DC, Maryland, Virginia area; travelling cumulatively about 3.5 hours on the metro and about 1.5 hours on my new dahon folding bike. So needless to say I was a bit loopy when I got up on the rings.

Here's the video with further commentary below

WipKlU_T9xU

Set one was a perfect instance of where my body awareness does not match reality. The muscle up to back lever felt easy and solid, but After reviewing, my shoulders rise above my wrists and the lever positioning is very steeply inclined. Preceding levers were solid (the pause after my first front lever I was trying to read the sequence off a post it on the floor). However, the second muscle up wasn't quite up to par; I'd like to work back up to a non overgrip muscle up. Anyways, I reviewed the footage and made the appropriate adjustments on the next set.

Second muscle up to back lever, my transition height and ending position were correct, however the piking angle break at my hips is indicative of insufficient strength. I missed the two dips, told you I was loopy [=

Third set, much the same as the second. I gather that the muscle up to back lever requires further isolated work before I can string it into a sequence successfully. I have not yet gained that level of proficiency...yet. It is a ridiculous amount of concentric loading though and my biceps are still shot with delayed onset muscle soreness.

Pre-Workout meal was 1 avocado with half a can of red salmon and some virgin olive oil (about 20 mins before my warmup, I was in a rush)

Post-Workout I took 50 grams of whey protein concentrate + 20 grams of L-Glycine with 1 liter water, 2 unmeasured gulps of virgin olive oil and a daily vitamin (taken immediately, and in that order)

Joshua Naterman

Eddie and Tsoonami: Looking strong!!!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Late Post:

but here is video.. I was stressed that day so didn't feel so strong. The tape on my back is the keep my unstable right shoulder into place... old injury when I was a kid. Doing physio to help it stabilize more getting better. Gymnastics is helping a lot.

eJRBngls684

Alvaro

I am not going to post a video after that! :shock:

my little WOD:

3X leg on the ground MU to support (not fully locked support from MU yet) then tuck BL, tuck FL, MU (as before :oops: ) then 2 negative dips at dip station, MU, trying to press to shoulder stand (a bit better getting to horizontal ) then kicking up to shoulder stand (much more solid and controlled), FL and BL. I had to step down of the XR every time I change the exercice but I try not to rest.

4X

15 seg FL

20 seg hand stand back to the wall but almost free standing (even some 7 sec free standing in one of them)

15 seg german hang, very deep. Still can´t pull up to inverted hang after 15 seg.

I had to do a fast WOD because of lack of time but feeling better overall. More confident than 1 month ago. :D

Mark Wyly

Sorry for the late add...a little behind posting my WODs

Here is upload of set 2, one day i'll have the patience to link all the videos together so as to view all 3 sets :) but as for now windows movie maker ALWAYS freezes when i try...

Great workout... one of the last i'll have to do out of a doorway, and maybe i will finally try a press to handstand on the rings, because i'm Moving soon :) !!

EnAWMv1h7aQ

Mark Wyly

p.s. everyone is looking solid in their videos! great to see :D